Employment & Internships

Scholar Employment: For Researchers, Faculty, or Staff

As an international scholar at Boston University, your employment eligibility will vary significantly based on your immigration classification. Please visit Immigration Status for details on which employment and consulting activities your particular classification and BU affiliation allow. If you haven’t already established your BU affiliation or been assigned a status, visit our Getting Started section.

For I-9 information and other employment documentation, see Researcher, Faculty, and Staff Employment. If you don’t have a Social Security Number yet, follow our instructions to apply.

Student Employment & Internships

As an international student in F-1 or J-1 status, you may qualify for certain types of employment authorization to allow you to work on campus, as well as off campus in positions related to your major field. Many internships, rotations, or curricular placements require authorization, whether paid or unpaid. Work authorization may also be approved if you are facing severe economic difficulties beyond your control.

Make sure you understand the options and limits of your immigration status and employment eligibility before accepting any employment in the U.S., as your work permission is tied to maintaining lawful status.