The College of Communication’s financial aid resources include various scholarship funds and graduate assistantships (teaching, research, administrative). In addition, graduate students can apply for the Federal Work-Study Program, unsubsidized Federal Stafford/grad PLUS Loans and other state and private funds. Numerous on-campus and off-campus employment opportunities are also available.
For current interest rates and loan fees, please visit the U.S. Department of Education website.
Scholarship awards are merit based—on academic promise and the availability of funds. The majority of scholarship is awarded during the admission process. All full-time students who apply for admission are automatically considered for COM merit-based scholarships. A separate application for financial aid is not needed.
Available funds do not allow us to provide assistance to all graduate students; however, most receive partial support and avail themselves of the various loan programs to further finance their education.
The University and the College of Communication assume that all students will contribute financially to their graduate education.
In order to be considered for any Federal aid (including Work-Study and loans) you must submit a Free Application For Student Aid (FAFSA). You may apply online at fafsa.ed.gov.
Continuing Students Only: Fall and/or Spring
- Make sure you fill out the FAFSA (free application for federal student aid) at fafsa.ed.gov before applying for any federal loans.
- Complete the Federal Stafford Loan Form.
- Information on the 2021/2022 Direct Graduate PLUS loan, as well as the application form, can be found here.
- Information on private educational loans can be found here.
Summer 2021 Federal Loans
- Summer 2021 Stafford Loan Information and Application. Please note that students must turn this form into COM room 130 after you register for summer classes. Students must register for at least six academic credits over the course of the summer in order to be eligible. Summer borrowing may impact the amount of Stafford Loan you are eligible for in future semesters.
- The summer 2021 Federal Grad PLUS Loan Application is also available. We encourage you to apply for the Summer Stafford before the Graduate PLUS Loan.
For additional financial aid help from resources, explore these search engines and loan centers below. Note: These sites are not affiliated with Boston University or the College of Communication, and should be used for informational purposes only.
BU has identified some private loans if you are interested in researching additional options. This list of options is certainly not all inclusive and we encourage you to search for other outside private loan options that may be available to you.