Getting ready to record your pre-screening or final recorded audition video? Take a look at the below video recording guidelines to help you create and deliver a video that’ll be sure to get our attention.
Video Recording Guide
- Sound – using a USB microphone is key for enhanced sound quality. Check out these recommendations for the best USB microphones on the market.
- Framing – make sure you give yourself enough room in the frame so we can clearly see you (from at least the torso up) and not miss seeing you play your instrument.
- Lighting – be sure to place light in front of you and not behind you. Whether that means you’re facing a window and getting natural sunlight or placing a lamp in front of you. This will help us see you better.
- Staging – we recognize you may not be on an actual stage when doing this (but definitely channel that energy), so we recommend being mindful of what’s behind you. Avoid cluttered areas or items in the background that may be distracting. Remember that the focus is on you. YOU are the moment!
Uploading/Submitting Your Video
- Once you’ve finished filming, be sure to test your video and make sure you are happy with the audio and image quality. If yes, let’s head to the next step. If not, take a breath and do it again. You’ve got this!
- Visit our Online Portal, Acceptd, to upload your recording. Physical CDs, DVDs, tapes, email files, and YouTube links cannot be accepted. The video types supported by the portal are: MP4, M4V, AVI, FLV, MOV, WMV, MPG, MPEG, M2V, MKV, WEBM
- If any technical issues occur while you’re uploading your video and need assistance, please contact Acceptd’s technical support team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Individual files are recommended when uploading movements and pieces.
- Video submissions should not be edited.
- Recordings need to be less than a year old prior to the application deadline.
- Recordings will be evaluated on the same criteria as those who audition live.
- Applicants who are prescreened will be notified of the prescreening decision via e-mail.
- All graduate applicants will not be notified of prescreening decisions until the Graduate Application has been submitted.
All prescreening applicants must submit their video(s) no later than December 1, 2022!
For those submitting Final Audition recordings, please work with the below deadlines:
- Undergraduate Early Decision 1 and Spring Transfer Applicants: November 1, 2022
- Undergraduate Trustee Scholar Applicants: December 1, 2022
- Undergraduate Early Decision 2 and Regular Decision Applicants: February 1, 2023
- Graduate Applicants: February 1, 2023
- Undergraduate Fall Transfer Applicants: March 1, 2023
*We encourage Fall Transfer Applicants to follow the Regular Decision timeline of February 1 for a higher chance of successfully transferring to BU School of Music.