We’re thrilled you are considering continuing your studies at BU! Transferring from one school to another is more common than we think (over 700 transfer students join BU each year), and with that, our School of Music Admissions office can help you navigate the transfer process and ensure a smooth transition whether you wish to apply for a fall or spring semester.
Why do students transfer to BU School of Music?
Real-world experience. You’re right in Boston, a rich city filled with art, music, culture. Pursuing a performance degree? We guarantee you’ll perform at prestigious venues like Symphony Hall, Boston during your time as a BU student. You’ll work alongside faculty members who perform or conduct research regionally, even internationally.
Conservatory-style school in a large research institution. Your music community will be strong, and you’ll also get to meet students from other majors. There’s so much to do and see at BU, with a variety of student groups, sports, performances, leadership and entrepreneurial opportunities.
UNDERGRADUATE TRANSFER ADMISSION
BU School of Music welcomes prospective transfer students to apply for fall or spring semester transfer admission. A transfer student is defined as a student who has completed the equivalent of a US secondary school education and will have at least one full-time semester (12 or more college credits) as a degree candidate from another college or university.
Visit the School of Music Undergraduate Admissions webpage to follow the application requirements for the major you’d like to declare.
All external transfer applicants to the School of Music need to also submit the NASM Transfer Release Form in order to be considered for financial aid from Boston University. The form should be completed and emailed to email@example.com no later than March 1.
Applicants will also need to complete an audition or submit a portfolio (unless you’re applying for the Bachelor of Arts program that does not require an audition.) Visit the Prescreening Information webpage and Audition Repertoire and Portfolio Requirements webpage for step-by-step instructions.
- For spring transfer applicants, auditions will take place in November
- For fall transfer applicants, auditions can be scheduled on our regular audition days in January and February
- Transfer applicants may also opt to submit a video-recorded audition instead of coming to a live audition
- For more info about auditions, visit the Audition and Repertoire Portfolio Requirements webpage
GRADUATE TRANSFER ADMISSION
Prospective graduate transfer students are welcome to apply for Fall transfer admission! The maximum graduate transfer credits allowed to transfer are 8 credits for Master of Music students and 16 credits for Doctor of Musical Arts students.
All transfer applicants to the School of Music must submit the NASM Transfer Release Form in order to be considered for a merit-based scholarship from Boston University. The form should be completed and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than January 15.
Visit the School of Music Graduate Admissions webpage for step-by-step instructions on how to apply and what’s needed in your application. Then head to our Prescreening Information webpage and Audition and Repertoire Portfolio Requirements webpage to learn more about the audition process and requirements.
Transfer Credit Distribution Limitations
- Not more than 3 credits in applied music
- Not more than 1 credit in musical organization
- Not more than 1 credit in ensemble
Credits transferred in any one of the above three categories may count only as electives and cannot be used for other distributional requirements.
- Transfer credit is not accepted for courses taken at institutions that do not give graduate degrees.
- Transfer credit is not accepted for seminars and other courses taken at the Boston University Summer Tanglewood Institute.
INTRA UNIVERSITY TRANSFER (IUT) ADMISSION
Current Boston University students majoring in a program outside of CFA that have at least a 2.0 GPA are welcome to apply for intra-university transfer (IUT) or Dual Degree admission to the School of Music. Open the collapsibles below for more information:
Starting the Process - Interest Form
To start the process, please complete the online Intra University Transfer Interest Form found below. Once you complete this form, a member of the School of Music Admissions team will contact you regarding the next step in the process.
Interested in the Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Music program? Great news. No audition is required! The only requirement is the submission of the Interest Form. Please note, if you are a First-Year or transfer student, your application will not be reviewed until after your first semester at BU.
For applicants interested in seeking a Bachelor of Music (BM) in Performance, please submit your Interest Form by the following deadlines:
- For January admission: November 1
- For September admission: January 4
All IUT & Dual Degree applicants to the School of Music are required to submit the Interest Form as well as complete the following requirements based on their major of interest:
- All Performance and Music Education applicants need to do a live audition. Visit our Prescreening Information page and Audition Repertoire and Portfolio Requirements page for more information.
- Composition applicants must submit a composition portfolio and may choose to audition on their primary instrument if they wish to study with an applied faculty member. Composition applicants who do not successfully place into an applied faculty member’s studio or who do not wish to take a primary studio audition will enter the piano track and may study with an advanced graduate student on piano. This piano track focuses on the keyboard skills necessary as a composer, and not those of a performer.
BM Performance Auditions
- For Spring 2023 admission, auditions will take place November 4, 2022.
- For Fall 2023 admission, auditions will be on January 20, 27, and February 3, and 10, 2023.
*The prescreening requirement is waived for all IUT and Dual Degree applicants. Email us at email@example.com to request a waiver.
All applicants must schedule auditions through our online portal, Acceptd. For details or assistance, please contact the School of Music Admissions office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
A Complete Guide for Transfer Applicants
Visit the BU Admissions website for more information about the transfer application process.