Advanced Credit & Dual Enrollment

Advanced credit can be helpful if you are planning for:

  • A dual concentration
  • A combined BA/MA or BS/MS program
  • An early graduation

You can qualify for advanced credit based on any of the following:

Superior results on any of these examinations demonstrate a level of achievement beyond most standard high school programs. In some cases, final credit will be determined by your BU School or College of admission. In order to receive credit, you must provide original documentation when it is available. Admissions may request additional credentials as needed.

Please note: Boston University reserves the right to reevaluate and update the above policies at any time.

Advanced Placement Credit

Most programs at BU award credit for test scores of 4 or 5 on AP Examinations. To receive Advanced Placement credit, make sure your official examination scores are submitted directly to BU by the College Board.

  • BU’s College Entrance Examination Board (CEEB) code is 3087

See Advanced Credit Guide

Credit for College Coursework or Dual Enrollment

BU generally awards credit for liberal arts courses completed with a grade of C or better at a regionally accredited post-secondary institution. Professional courses may transfer at the discretion of the admitting BU school or college. Courses taken at international universities are subject to approval. Please see the High School/Dual Enrollment policy in our academic bulletin for full details.

Please be aware that because dual enrollment policies vary state to state, BU does not necessarily abide by individual state policies regarding the award of dual enrollment credit that may have been shared with you by your high school or the college where you took your dual enrollment coursework.

In order to seek credit for college-level work completed prior to matriculation:

  • You must request that the external college or university send an official transcript and course syllabus to the University Registrar for a transfer credit evaluation.
  • The high school sponsoring the Dual Enrollment must certify that the course(s) under consideration for credit did not fulfill high school degree requirements.
  • The transfer of credit will be determined per the policy on Transfer of Undergraduate Credit from US Institutions.

A Life-Changing Application

More than just academics, a BU education prepares you to make the most of life. So discover why clicking "send" on your application is a smart choice.