Early Decision at BU
Why Apply ED?
Each year, thousands of students ask us why they should consider applying Early Decision. Here are some of our reasons:
- Competition is keen. Think about this—would you rather be considered for admission as 1 of more than 64,000 applicants or 1 of just over 4,000 applicants?
- Applying Early Decision is the ultimate way to demonstrate your interest in BU, which is an opportunity for you to differentiate yourself from the rest of the crowd.
- Early Decision applicants receive the same consideration for financial aid as regular decision applicants. Last year, BU awarded $240 million in aid to undergraduates.
Early Decision Application Instructions
*Please note: some merit scholarships require you to apply by December 1.
- Early Decision is a binding program available only for high school seniors applying for admission.
- If you are applying for Early Decision, you must take the ACT no later than the October test date or the SAT no later than November.
- If you are applying for Early Decision 2, you must take the ACT or SAT no later than the December test date.
- You must indicate your interest in the Early Decision Program on the BU questions section of the Common Application. This outlines the binding nature of this option and must be signed by the applicant, a parent or guardian, and a guidance counselor.
- International Students: If you are applying Early Decision as an international student, please review our instructions for international applicants. If you are taking either the TOEFL or IELTS to fulfill our English proficiency requirements, you must take these exams no later than November 15 for Early Decision or by the end of December for Early Decision 2.
- If admitted, you must submit a nonrefundable enrollment deposit and withdraw your applications to all other colleges and universities. Please make sure that all credentials sent by mail are addressed to:
Early Decision Coordinator
Boston University Admissions
881 Commonwealth Avenue, 6th Floor
Boston, MA 02215
- If you are an Early Decision applicant who is not admitted, your application may be deferred for consideration during the regular admissions cycle. In that case, you’ll be considered for admission only after submitting your mid-year grades. You’ll be notified of a final admission decision in late March.
Financial Aid & Scholarships
- Early Decision applicants for need-based aid will be notified if they received funding with their admission decision.
- Early Decision applicants for one of our full-tuition scholarships, such as the Trustee Scholarship, will not receive notification until late March.
- Learn more about how to apply for financial aid and scholarships.