Transfer Credit

Students who have taken composition classes at other universities or who would like to take an external course for writing credit in the future may apply to have their external classes accepted toward their writing requirements at Boston University.

Incoming transfer students and incoming freshman who have taken college-level writing courses should contact the Registrar’s Office ( or call 617-353-2319)  to apply for transfer credit.

Returning students should submit an application to the Writing Program with the following materials:

  • A transfer credit form from the student’s college at Boston University.  Downloadable forms are available for CAS, CFA, COM, ENG, SAR, and SMG students. Students in other schools should contact their undergraduate advising offices for forms and further instruction. If the course is from a university outside the United States, the student should complete the International Programs office version of the form instead of one from the student’s college.
  • A catalog description of the course for which the student wishes to receive credit.
  • A syllabus of the course for which the student wishes to receive credit. This may be a sample syllabus of the same course level provided by the department offering the external class. The syllabus must include details about the number, length, and type of papers that were required.

Students who are required to take the Writing Placement Test (students who submitted English-language proficiency test scores to Boston University for admission) must also take the Writing Placement Test before their applications can be evaluated.

Students who enter Boston University as freshmen are allowed to take an external class for either WR 100 or  WR 150 transfer credit but must take one of those two (or a WR 100 or WR 150 equivalent) at Boston University. Transfer students may qualify for both WR 100 and WR 150 transfer credit for courses taken at their previous school.

More information about transfer credit at Boston University is available on the BU Admissions website. To see the answers to commonly asked questions about writing transfer credit, please visit Transfer Credit FAQs.


Book a Tutoring Appointment

Tutors are available for all CAS WR classes. Appointments can be booked online.

Learn more

Alumni Awards for Writing Excellence

The Writing Program is now accepting submissions for these annual awards open to graduating CAS seniors.
Learn more

Fall Catalog

The Fall 2015 Writing Program catalog is now available.
Learn more