Summer Challenge: How to Apply
The 2021 session of Summer Challenge was a great success. Please check back on December 15 for details about next summer’s program and to submit an application. Sign up for an email reminder.
If you are academically motivated and entering your sophomore, junior, or senior year of high school in fall 2022, we invite you to apply. Admission decisions take into consideration your high school grades, previous courses, and personal statement.
- Complete the online application. The following items are required to complete the online application. Please use the below information to prepare your application ahead of time if necessary, as applications cannot be saved and finished later.
- Personal statement: You will be required to submit a personal statement of 500–700 words describing why you want to attend the Summer Challenge program.
- Application fee: A nonrefundable application fee, paid by credit card, is required at the time of submission of the online application.
- Upload supplemental materials (you will receive an upload link via email).
- High school transcript: Your full high school transcript must begin in 9th grade and include your fall 2021 grades. Applicants currently in 9th grade must submit a transcript from their 8th grade year in addition to their fall 2021 grades.
- International documents: International students must upload an additional form and a copy of your passport with the application. If English is not the primary language of instruction at your high school, you must upload supplemental information to demonstrate English proficiency.
Applications are only reviewed after all of the materials listed above are received.
Note: Email is the primary form of communication during the admissions process. Please be aware that parents are copied on all correspondence from our office. Therefore, you should ensure that both parent and student email addresses are entered correctly on the application, and inform our office immediately if there is a change in either email address.
Boston University Summer Term
Summer Challenge Program
755 Commonwealth Avenue, Room 105
Boston, MA 02215
We stop accepting applications two weeks prior to each session. Seminars fill quickly and students who apply early are more likely to receive the session and seminar selections of their choice.
We start reviewing applications at the beginning of January. Within three weeks of confirming our receipt of your completed application, an admission decision will be emailed to you.
Admission decisions are made on a rolling basis and only completed applications are reviewed. Once we receive your completed application, we will email you to confirm its receipt.
If you have any additional questions or comments, please contact us.