Chief Executive Officer, Liberty Group
2015 YOUNG ALUMNI OF THE YEAR RECIPIENT
Punit Shah serves as the Chief Executive Officer of Liberty Group, a company founded by his Father more than three decades ago. In this role, he has overall executive control of the investment and management divisions of the company and serves as General Partner of Liberty Hospitality Funds I and II.
Liberty Group has owned and managed over $525 million in commercial real estate, including multi-family developments, senior living facilities, Starbucks Coffee stores, and 57 hotels representing more than 5,125 rooms affiliated primarily with Intercontinental, Starwood, Marriott, and Hilton Hotels throughout the United States. Under Mr. Shah’s leadership, Liberty Group has raised two private equity real estate funds since 2014, Liberty Hospitality Fund I & II, with over $250 million in combined debt and equity capital.
In 2017, Mr. Shah, as part of an investment group led by Derek Jeter, became an Owner of the Miami Marlins Major League Baseball team, and is the first Indian American Owner of a MLB team.
A second-generation hotelier, Mr. Shah is an alumnus of the Boston University School of Hospitality where he now serves on the Board of Directors and established the Punit & Carla Shah Family scholarship. Mr. Shah was honored as the commencement speaker for the Boston University School of Hospitality class of 2017.
Mr. Shah attended the Harvard University Economics Honors program, and Political Science and Executive Real Estate Development & Leadership programs at Cornell University and Emory University, and is a member of the Young President’s Organization (YPO).
Mr. Shah’s professional honors include receiving the Florida’s Governor’s Enterprise award, Tampa Business Journal “Under 30” award, Florida Business Review “Under 40” and Entrepreneur of the Year awards, having been named as 25 People to Watch in Florida, Boston University Alumni of the Year, and serving on the Global Board of Directors of the Intercontinental Hotels Group Owner’s Association. Additionally, Mr. Shah serves on the Executive Board of NFL Tampa Buccaneer’s Quarterback Jameis Winston’s Dream Forever Foundation.
Awards and Accolades
• Florida Governor’s Business Diversification Award 2010
• Tampa Business Journal “Under 30” Award 2010
• Florida Gulf Coast Business Review “Under 40” Award 2011
• Named as “Florida’s 25 People to Watch” in 2014
• Named as “Entrepreneur of the Year” in 2015
• Global Board of Directors member for Intercontinental Hotels Group Owners Association
• Named as “Young Alumni of the Year” at Boston University 2015
• Board of Directors member & Distinguished Guest Lecturer at Boston University School of Hospitality
• Endowed Punit & Carla Shah Family Scholarship at Boston University
• Board of Directors member of Commercial Construction Magazine
• Featured Speaker at Crittenden Real Estate Finance Conferences (Miami & Atlanta), and Massey Knakel Real Estate Investment Conference (NYC)
• Leadership Tampa & Leadership Florida Alumni
• Board of Directors member of Real Estate Investment Council of Tampa