- A Minor in Materials Science & Engineering is earned through completion of 20 credits. Twelve credits must be unique to the minor and may not count toward the fulfillment of majors or additional minors.
- Students are expected to obtain the necessary background (pre-requisites or equivalents) to complete their chosen minor program.
- A 2.0 GPA is required in the courses used to satisfy the minor, with no grade less than a C–.
- A student must be at least a Sophomore and have a declared major on record in order to apply for a minor.
- Applications for a Minor in Materials Science & Engineering must be approved by the Minor Coordinator of the Division of Materials Science & Engineering.
- It is recommended that students interested in pursuing a Minor in Materials Science & Engineering apply as early as possible in their degree program in order to facilitate course planning, but in no case later than October 1 of a student’s senior year.
- The following courses may be used to satisfy the requirements of the minor:
- Required Courses
- Elective Courses
- ENG ME 305: Mechanics of Materials
- ENG EC 471: Physics of Semiconductor Devices
- ENG MS 505 / ME 505: Thermodynamics & Statistical Mechanics of Materials
- ENG MS 503 / ME 503: Kinetic Processes in Materials
- ENG MS 577 / EC 577: Electrical, Optical, & Magnetic Properties of Materials
- ENG MS 504 / ME 504: Polymers & Soft Materials
- ENG MS 582 / ME 582: Mechanical Behavior of Materials
- ENG MS 508 / ME 508 or CAS PY 508 / CH 508: Computational Methods in Materials Science
- ENG MS 523 / BE 523 / ME 523: Mechanics of Biomaterials
- ENG MS 545 / ME 545: Electrochemistry of Fuel Cells & Batteries
- ENG MS 530 / ME 530: Introduction to Micro & Nanomechanics of Solids
- ENG MS 555 / ME 555: MEMS Fabrication & Materials
- ENG MS 534 / ME 534: Materials Technology for Microelectronics
- CAS PY 451: Quantum Physics
- CAS PY 543: Introduction to Solid State Physics
- Please note: The following courses overlap too much for credit to be given for both: ENG MS/ME 505 AND CAS PY 410
- For questions regarding minor requirements, please contact:
Prof. Srikanth Gopalan, MSE Minor Coordinator
730 Commonwealth Avenue, Room 210