BS in Computer Science—Accelerated Degree Completion Program
The two-year Accelerated Degree Completion Program (ADCP) provides a fast-track to a Bachelor of Science (BS) in Computer Science from Boston University.
The ADCP is uniquely designed to match the energy and talents of professionals who have risen in the business environment without having completed their bachelor’s degree, offering a cohesive, traditional college experience for motivated adults. Students enter the program as part of a cohort, and graduate together as a class—meanwhile benefiting from strong personal and professional connections, career networking opportunities, and the University’s recreational resources.
The program’s concentrated, structured course of study makes it possible to complete a BU undergraduate degree in just two years—four semesters and two summers. To meet the needs of busy adults and reduce commuting time, this campus-based program includes a combination of traditional classroom, blended, and online course formats.
Additionally, students who achieve a grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or higher in the program are guaranteed admission—with advanced standing—to a MET graduate degree program in computer science.
The BS in Computer Science program develops valuable experience and professional skills in areas such as object-oriented programming and C++, and many graduates go on to rewarding computer-related careers in software engineering, system administration and management, and research and development in industrial and governmental laboratories. Others use their undergraduate computer science degree background (and analytical skills) to prepare for careers in medicine, law, education, physical and life sciences, social sciences, and the humanities.
Applicants are selected based on their academic background and professional expertise. They are expected to have completed a minimum of 64 transferable academic credits, including:
- the equivalent of a freshman-level English writing course
- at least one course in computer programming
- a college-level course in mathematics or related quantitative area
A completed application, official high school and college transcripts, and a current résumé are necessary for admission.
Program Curriculum (total 64 credits)
The Accelerated Degree Completion Program comprises 16 required courses. Please see the Course Listing for all course descriptions.
- MET CS 232 Programming with Java
- MET CS 248 Discrete Mathematics
- MET CS 342 Data Structures with Java
- MET CS 401 Introduction to Web Application Development
- MET CS 472 Computer Architecture
- MET CS 495 Computer Science Senior Project
- MET CS 503 Windows .NET Application Programming with C#
- MET CS 535 Computer Networks
- MET CS 565 Advanced Java Programming
- MET CS 575 Operating Systems*
- MET CS 579 Database Management*
- MET HU 400 Great Works of the Modern Era
- MET IS 400 Great Ideas in Western Thought
- MET IS 401 Communication Skills I
- MET IS 403 Natural Science in Contemporary Society
- MET MA 123 Calculus I
*May be applied toward the MS in Computer Science.