MS in Advertising
Offered in collaboration with Boston University College of Communication
Practical, cutting edge, and well-rounded, Boston University’s part-time Master of Science (MS) in Advertising is a hands-on, professional program offered through BU’s College of Communication and Metropolitan College.
Our evening courses combine core advertising fundamentals with the latest approaches in digital content and marketing, preparing students to compete in the fast-paced, ever-changing world of communication—whether they are newly entering the field or seeking to enhance their industry knowledge and experience.
Students can customize the advertising program by choosing a sequence of courses that provide an understanding of interactive, digital content, or by focusing on international marketing and management. We also make sure students master the arts of presenting a pitch and working collaboratively.
Through case studies, hands-on practice, market research, and analysis of what works, our curriculum covers:
- Interactive media
- Branding and creative development
- Advertising management and strategy
- International marketing
- Mass communication
- An ability to solve contemporary marketing problems from strategic, creative, and technological perspectives.
- A sound understanding of the principles of digital advertising.
- Proficiency in the communication of ideas using coherent persuasive skills in writing and oral presentation.
For current admissions information, please visit the Metropolitan College website.
The MS in advertising consists of 10 courses for a total of 40 credits.
Please note: Some courses may have prerequisites.
Required Courses (three courses/12 credits)
- MET CM 707 Writing for Media Professionals
- MET CM 708 Principles and Practices of Advertising
- MET CM 719 Interactive Marketing Communications
Electives (seven courses/28 credits)
Electives marked with an asterisk (*) have a digital media focus.
Advertising Electives (choose four)
- MET CM 702 Advertising and Society
- MET CM 704 Contemporary Mass Communication
- MET CM 711 Consumer Insight and Account Planning
- MET CM 714 Video in the Digital Age*
- MET CM 716 Digital Communication*
- MET CM 717 Fundamentals of Creative Development
- MET CM 721 Advertising Management
- MET CM 726 Strategic Brand Solutions
- MET CM 736 New and Traditional Media Strategies
- MET CM 737 Social Networks in Strategic Communication Planning*
- MET CM 739 Principles of Search Engine Marketing*
- MET CM 744 Design and New Media*
Management Electives (choose three)
- MET AD 632 Financial Concepts
- MET AD 648 Ecommerce
- MET AD 670 Creative Multimedia: Tools, Design, and Application*
- MET AD 725 Negotiations and Organizational Conflict Resolution
- MET AD 733 Leadership in Management
- MET AD 737 Innovative Marketing Techniques*
- MET AD 741 The Innovation Process: Developing New Products and Services
- MET AD 852 International Market Research
- MET AD 857 Marketing Strategies
- MET AD 860 International Advertising
MET/COM students may petition for additional advertising elective courses to substitute for the list of management elective courses above.
Students in the MS in Advertising program must maintain a grade point average of at least 3.0 to remain in good standing and to graduate. No grade below B– in any course may be applied toward the degree. Students with grade point averages below 3.0 will be on academic probation and must be in a position to achieve a 3.0 within the 40 required credit hours for graduation or be subject to dismissal.