The BU Hub is Boston University’s new university-wide general education program that emphasizes working across disciplines to prepare for a complex and diverse world. BU’s class of 2022 will be the first to enroll in the Hub which helps students explore a variety of courses and innovative learning experiences — creating their own personal educational pathway.
The Hub helps students develop six essential capacities to thrive in their personal, professional, and civic lives:
- Philosophical, Aesthetic, and Historical Interpretation
- Scientific and Social Inquiry
- Quantitative Reasoning
- Diversity, Civic Engagement, and Global Citizenship;
- Intellectual Toolkit
Why the BU Hub?
- BU has always had general education requirements that spanned math, science, writing, humanities, and social sciences. The BU Hub standardizes these across campus and strengthens their goals.
- With a combination of intensified existing courses and new offerings, students increase their opportunity to develop knowledge, skills, and habits of mind to be lifelong learners and leaders in a rapidly evolving, interconnected, globalized world.
- Many of the Hub units are built directly into degree requirements; the rest will be earned through elective courses.
- Your degree advice report tracks your Hub units. Check out this tutorial for more information.
- While many of your major’s requirements fulfill Hub units, you can select among a range of integrative and innovative options to complete your degree.
- Each semester, you will discuss your academic and professional goals with your advisor prior to registering for classes. To help select your Hub courses, you can review these elective options and search the Hub’s course database.
- You can also consult with a network of advisors.