At the Pardee School, we seek a “future with peace that lasts, development that works, and knowledge that transforms.” This future requires the energy, creativity, and leadership of young people who want to make an impact as a professionals and students.
To inspire and support this next generation of international affairs professionals, the Pardee School offers Global Impact, a deferred admissions option.
- Through Global Impact, Boston University (BU) students apply to either the Master of Arts in International Affairs (MAIA) program or the Master of Arts in Global Policy (MGP) program.
- Students apply with the understanding that if they are admitted, their enrollment will be deferred for two to three years.
- During the years between completing college and beginning graduate school, accepted students can work or volunteer in any field. Students are responsible for securing their own work or volunteer positions.
- After two to three years of work or volunteer experience, students will enroll at the Pardee School, taking courses toward their master’s degree.
Global Impact is open to all current BU undergraduates who are committed to working before undertaking a master’s degree at the Pardee School.
To be eligible for Global Impact, applicants must:
- Be currently enrolled in at least one BU course and in their final year or final semester as a BU undergraduate student AND,
- Have a 3.5 or higher cumulative GPA at the time of application.
Reasons to Defer Graduate School
Deferring admission to graduate school has a number of potential benefits:
- Gives you time to confirm that a career in international affairs is indeed the right path for you.
- You can develop your current skills and learn new ones through work and/or volunteer efforts.
- Earn money while doing different types of work.
- Life after college may help you to gain a deeper understanding of your personal interests, strengths, and values.
- Exposure to various work settings may add to your understanding of how a graduate education will enhance your long term career aspirations.
Applying through Global Impact
- The Graduate Record Exam (GRE) is NOT required.
- Admitted students will receive a minimum scholarship of $12,000 per year or $6,000 per regular term for the typical length of their degree. Scholarship aid is not available for summer terms.
- The usual $300 deposit will not be required to be paid in full until shortly before the student enrolls.
Work and/or Volunteer Experience
Global Impact applicants are expected to work and/or volunteer during the 2-3 years prior to enrollment in one of the Pardee School’s graduate programs, though they are welcome to pursue any kind of professional experience. Gaining work experience before graduate schools adds experience to your resume that could make you a more competitive candidate for a position that matches your long-term career goals. You might also wish to explore experiences abroad during the deferral period, which would give you an opportunity to travel, learn a new language, and enhance cross-cultural communication skills. Whether or not you work abroad, you will gain valuable exposure to a variety of fields and different types of work. For example, you might discover newfound interests in the private sector, being an entrepreneur, or working locally in a community through a non-profit.
Working and/or volunteering will benefit your professional development in the following ways:
- Exposure to professional expectations and conduct.
- Improving your written and verbal communication skills.
- Opportunity to contribute to individual projects (e.g. building a website) or contribute to team or organization projects (e.g. crafting a policy proposal).
Applications are due June 1 each year.
Applicants should first decide which degree program – MGP or MAIA – is the best match for their academic and professional interests.
Next, create an account in our online application system.
Once in the online application system, select the appropriate program:
- “Global Impact (Deferred Admissions) Global Policy – MA” for the MGP.
- “Global Impact (Deferred Admissions) International Affairs – MA” for the MAIA.
Once you’ve completed your application and uploaded all the required documents, submit your application before the June 1 deadline. If you qualify for an application fee waiver, please be in touch with our admissions team beforehand. You can read more about application fee waivers on our Graduate Admissions FAQ page.
All applicants should be aware of the following terms and conditions, pertaining to the Global Impact deferred admissions option.
An application does not guarantee admission. Applicants will be evaluated for their potential to succeed in the Pardee School graduate program.
Deposit: A typical deposit for the Pardee School is $300. Global Impact admits will not pay a deposit until the end of the first year of their deferral. At that time, a $100 deposit will be required to hold the student’s place. The remaining balance of the $300 deposit is due 90 days before the first day of classes of the term of enrollment. The deposit is non-refundable if the student later decides not to enroll. Delaying the requirement to pay a deposit is intended to relieve some of the financial stress that recent college graduates may feel.
Maximum Deferral: Three is the maximum number of years a student may defer enrollment. After three years, the student forfeits their admission and the guaranteed minimum scholarship. Students who defer for three years and who have had substantive, professional work in the field of international relations, may be eligible for the one-year Master of Arts in International Relations (MAIR) degree. The MAIR is an accelerated degree program designed mainly for international relations professionals who are looking to advance their careers after multiple years of work in the field. If students are deemed eligible for the MAIR, they will need to submit a new application for that particular degree program. There is no guaranteed minimum scholarship for the MAIR. To inquire about eligibility for the MAIR, please send your current resume to email@example.com.
Minimum Scholarship: All students admitted to the Pardee School through Global Impact are guaranteed a minimum scholarship of $12,000 per year or $6,000 per term. Increases to the scholarship are possible, based on accomplishments during the deferral period. Applicants will be asked to provide an updated resume around March of the year they plan to enroll. The updated resume will be used in the reconsideration of the admitted student’s scholarship. If a revised scholarship award is possible, it will be announced around June 1 of the year the student plans to enroll. This should give students plenty of time to apply for any additional loans or scholarships.
Program Changes: Applicants should be aware that the Pardee School degree programs and curriculum are occasionally revised to reflect changes in the field of global studies. Admitted students should be aware that the curriculum that will be in effect at the time of enrollment may be different from the curriculum that was in effect when the student originally applied. A reasonable effort will be made to notify students if there are significant changes to the degree program or requirements.
Contact Us With Questions
We are happy to meet with you to discuss your interest in Global Impact. The contact for Global Impact at the Pardee School is:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: (617) 353-0983
- Office: 156 Bay State Road