English Language Resources

English Proficiency

Undergraduate Students

When applying to study at BU, your must demonstrate English proficiency. This is usually done through taking the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) and submitting your scores, although some students submit the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). If your score is below the minimum, you could still be admitted to BU by attaining the minimum score before classes begin. Our Center for English Language & Orientation Programs (CELOP) offers intensive classes to help raise your proficiency.

If admitted, you will also take an English placement examination before the first semester of study. Depending on your results, you may be required to take noncredit English courses to strengthen your language skills.

Graduate Students

Graduate students are also expected to be proficient in English. Score requirements at the graduate level vary—check with your school.

English Language Assistance

We know TOEFL scores don’t mean you feel comfortable with all aspects of English or studying in the US. Conversing with fellow students, writing papers, and understanding academic expectations may be challenging. BU has resources to help.

Center for English and Language Orientation Programs (CELOP)

CELOP offers various levels of classes, social events, study groups, and more. They even have specialized programs for intensive English before classes start or if you need to learn legal or medical terms for your courses.

Educational Resource Center (ERC)

The ERC offers writing assistance, including appointments focused on thesis development, organization and citation or foundational grammar skills. You can take advantage of either kind of appointment and schedule it directly on the ERC website.

The ERC also offers Peer Tutors in a variety courses. Peer Tutors are BU students who can help you develop effective study methods for that course or subject.

Students can also meet with an ERC staff member for general advice and guidance.

College of Communication Writing Center

Housed in the College of Communication, this center—open to all students at BU—is an especially good resource if you’re trying to write an article or develop a story. The Writing Center, like the ERC, has help with English language skills too.