Senior Spotlight 2022

To celebrate the Class of 2022, we asked graduates who attended CGS to share their memories, proudest accomplishments, and plans for the future. Congratulations Class of 2022!

Kaitlyn Kelley, CGS and SAR, Health Science Major

What student organizations have you been involved in?

Alpha Phi, Sargent Peer Mentors

What have you done in your time at BU that you’re most proud of?

I worked on a study with Cambridge Health Alliance where I interviewed a patient population about their struggles with food insecurity. This experience inspired my future career in health advocacy!

What do you have planned for the future?

I will be attending the University of Illinois School of Law in the fall!

What is your favorite memory of CGS?

My favorite CGS memory was completing my Capstone project. I had the best group and made some of my best friends working on this project!

Amanda Kong, CGS and COM, Advertising Major

AdLab, Mustard Seed a capella, Multi-Ethnic InterVarsity

What have you done in your time at BU that you are most proud of?

Two moments: Running AdLab as Executive Vice President and performing in a nationwide a capella conference

I plan to travel and rest up, then get started working!

What is your favorite memory of CGS?

I really enjoyed taking trips to museums, plays, and performances when we were in London!

Moe Myat Khaing, CGS and Questrom, Finance and Management Information Systems Major

Admissions Student Diversity Board, Admissions Ambassador, BU finance and investment club, BU Chaarg, herNetwork

I took a leap of faith during my transition from CGS to Questrom. Surrounded by new students and professors, I did not know anyone there. I was not sure which concentration to pick in the beginning of the transition. I could not count the number of times I visited Questrom UDC and my amazing professors, figuring out which concentration I should do. Now, in a few weeks, I will be graduating from Questrom, with my dream job in line this summer.

I am moving to NYC this July for my position as corporate investment banking analyst at Santander Bank.

What is your favorite memory of CGS?

Taking advantage of the Writing Center in Katzenberg Center in any way possible!!!

Ellie Spring, CGS and COM, Media Science Major

I am most proud of getting through this pandemic as someone who is chronically ill, and graduating on time! It was hard but we did it!!

I am moving to Seaport in Boston to start working at PTC in their rotational program! I couldn’t be more excited.

What is your favorite memory of CGS?

London. It is one of my favorite memories and holds such a special place in my heart. My CGS friends and professors were so amazing- I learned so much and was able to have so much fun doing it! Shout out to Prof. Vandenberg for being one of the best teachers I have ever had!

Keiddy Curiel, CGS and CAS, Biology Major

Sabor Latino, Alianza Latina, MSALS (Minority Students Association for Life Sciences), SHPE, NSBE, BU Naturally

I am most proud of my involvement in student organizations, especially Sabor Latino. I was able to be on the executive board for three years, two of which I was President. Sabor Latino was an outlet for me to take a break from my academics and have fun while also creating long-lasting friendships with my team members. I never would have thought that I’d be on a dance team throughout my college experience but I’m very glad I took the chance and decided to try-out during my first semester. The team has made a positive impact on my life and will forever be my fondest memory of my time at BU.

I plan to work as a research scientist in an industry lab and later earn my masters in Biotech.

What is your favorite memory of CGS?

My favorite memory of CGS was being able to kickstart my career in science by working in the Center for Interdisciplinary Teaching and Learning. Professor Kate Nash told me about the opportunity to work in the CITL where I was able to work on microbiology projects with both Professors Robin Hulbert and Sandra Buerger.

Mads Williams, CGS and COM, Journalism Major

BU Women’s Club Ice Hockey

Growing the hockey team and publishing fantastic stories with BUNS and local publications

Moving to Madison to work for EPIC!

What is your favorite memory of CGS?

I made so many friends in London back in 2019, and my BU experience never would’ve been the same without them <3 CGS GANG

Ryan Sullivan, CGS and CAS, Political Science Major

BU COMunicator, MASSPIRG

Came into my own, learned what i enjoy most in life, and prepared myself to enter the world.

I plan on working at Oracle doing consulting post graduation and hopefully move to LA in the near future.

What is your favorite memory of CGS?

Being in London and exploring all the different neighborhoods and meeting amazing people. I would like to shoutout Professor Lynch for making me fall in love with politics and ultimately helping me choose my major! He’s the BEST!

Rakiya Washington, CGS and CAS, Psychology Major

I am proud to have been a research assistant with the Developing Minds Lab!

I plan on pursuing a master’s degree in social work and becoming a social worker!

Iris Simone, CGS and CAS, Chemistry Major

Tri Delta, Dance Theater Group

Conducted research in medicinal organic chemistry and helped to develop novel synthetic reaction conditions. Received a Clare Boothe Luce Scholarship for my work.

Starting a PhD program in organic chemistry at the University of Pittsburgh in the fall

What is your favorite memory of CGS?

Favorite memory- My conversations with Wex before every class <3

Spencer Mar, CGS and Sargent, Healthcare Studies Major/Accelerated Doctorate of Physical Therapy Track

Boston University Percussion Ensemble (Captain), Asian American Christian Fellowship,

Transitioning from CGS, which focuses primarily on liberal art studies, into a Physical Therapy program, which is more science heavy. Eventually becoming a TA for a class (Human Anatomy) that I failed on the first try. This was a foundational class for transitioning into Sargent.

Graduate School for Physical therapy at BU

What is your favorite memory of CGS?

The professors are so patient and caring towards the students. They’ve demonstrated their true character through action, not just words. I would not be where I’m at today if it weren’t for them. My favorite memory has to be grabbing beers with the professors after graduating from the program.

Caroline Birdsall, CGS and SAR, Health Science Major

Lightweight Women’s Rowing Team, Bloom Family Leadership Academy, Strong Girls Family

I have been a team captain for the Lightweight Women’s Rowing team for 2 years and my Capstone Group placed first for our Capstone Project.

I plan on applying to PA school and hope to work in emergency medicine and wilderness medicine. This summer I will be receiving my Wilderness EMT and EMT certification through the National Outdoor Leadership School (NOLS) in Lander, Wyoming so I can begin getting clinical experience for PA school.

What is your favorite memory of CGS?

My favorite memory was touring the MFA my freshman year with Professor Sweeting and my whole class. I loved my CGS courses because they taught me to get out of my comfort zone and to appreciate the city in which I spent the past 4 years in. I am forever grateful for the friends I made through CGS my freshman and sophomore year because we are still close to this day!

Faith Rynda, CGS and CAS, Political Science Major

Howard Thurman Center Ambassador, CGS Dean’s Host, CGS and HUB Advisory Boards, Black Business Student Association, AKPsi

As a first-generation student, I understood how challenging gaining access to university resources could be. I am most proud of the moments I was able to connect students with a similar background to mine with professors, internships, resources, and different opportunities that I learned about during the course of my undergraduate career. It brought me joy to be able to create space for others and bring people in.

In the fall I will be working in D.C. on The Hill with the Congressional Black Caucus, the following fall I have plans to attend law school

What is your favorite memory of CGS?

During our first weeks of class, we read an article called “College is Not a Commodity.” The article stated that “Students need to apply themselves to the daunting task of using their minds, a much harder challenge than most people realize, until they actually try to do it.” At the moment, it was hard for me to digest. However, as I started to commit myself to my classes and coursework, it radically transformed the way I viewed myself and my potential to excel. I am forever grateful to each and every one of my CGS professors because they taught me that curiosity and intellect were muscles to be developed and gave me the space, challenge, and courage to engage in the “daunting task” of using my mind.

Quinn Chappelle, CGS and CAS, Political Science Major

Editor in Chief/President at Boston Political Review; Scarlet Squad volunteer; Social Chairperson for BU CGS Student Government Association; Vice President at Harriet E. Richards Cooperative House

I presented my research on the right to marriage in the U.S. and Israel in a national student research conference this year.

Moving to the SF Bay Area to begin my career

What is your favorite memory of CGS?

One of my favorite memories from CGS was going on a street art tour on Brick Lane in London with my class! It was a super cool experience and I loved sharing it together with so many friends

Tyler Davis, CGS and COM, Film and Television Major

Club Sailing, BUTV10’s The Wire, Delta Kappa Alpha, CGS Student Advisory Board

During the Fall 2021 semester I produced my senior thesis film titled “Babyface.” Production was an incredibly challenging and rewarding experience that reignited my passion for filmmaking following the pandemic. I am so proud of the hard work my team and I put into the film, and I cannot wait to share it in film festivals and with everyone I know once it is complete!

I recently moved to Los Angeles following my BULA semester, and I am excited to share that I’m working full-time as a production assistant on Season 2 of the CBS show Ghosts.

What is your favorite memory of CGS?

Engage with your professors and faculty outside of class! I am so grateful for my connection with Dean McKnight. During the summer of 2020, we did a directed study focused on women director’s underrepresentation in the film industry. Dean McKnight continues to be incredibly supportive of me long after my time in the CGS program.

Aile Cheng, CGS and COM, Public Relations Major

Alianza Latina, Her Campus BU, Asian Student Union, Puerto Rican Student Association

Studying abroad twice and completing an internship in London! I am also proud of going out of my comfort zone and meeting new people while networking with students, professors, and alumni.

I will be completing a summer fellowship at Small Girls PR in New York City. I also plan to travel some more and explore different cities before pursuing higher education.

What is your favorite memory of CGS?

I could not imagine starting my journey at BU without CGS! I had an amazing experience and I’ve made a lot of friends and meaningful connections because of it.

Haleigh Drew, CGS and CAS, Philosophy and Linguistics Major

BU Running Club, CGS Dean’s Host, CAS Dean’s Host, Office of the Provost Undergraduate Advisory Board

Instead of following the path I initially thought I would, I opened myself up to new opportunities and new experiences

I’ve accepted a fully-funded Teaching Assistantship coordinated by Fulbright Austria on behalf of the Austrian Federal Ministry of Education, Science and Research. Come October, I will my begin position in Leoben, a city in the Steiermark Province, and live there teaching English full-time until June

What is your favorite memory of CGS?

It’s hard to pick one but the BU wine tasting event in London was definitely memorable!