Metropolitan College & Extended Education
Community interaction, whether on the local or global level, has always been integral to Boston University’s mission. Metropolitan College & Extended Education upholds that principle by making the University’s resources—intellectual, academic, and physical—accessible to a broad audience of working professionals and students of all ages, backgrounds, and nationalities.
Metropolitan College & Extended Education provides both opportunity and flexibility for students who might not otherwise participate in learning at the University. Employing the principles of excellence, accessibility, and innovation, we strive to reach out to diverse populations with relevant, challenging, and rewarding programs.
We invite you to explore our dynamic offerings.
MET is one of Boston University’s 16 degree-granting schools and colleges.
- Graduate degree and certificate programs are available on a full- or part-time basis in the evenings and in a convenient, blended format (eLive).
- Undergraduate degree and certificate programs are offered part-time in the evening, and include two degree completion programs:
- The Undergraduate Degree Completion Program allows you to finish your degree online, earning a Bachelor of Liberal Studies.
- The Accelerated Degree Completion Program offers a structured, two-year format with the option of earning a bachelor’s in Computer Science or Management Studies.
- Student & Corporate Outreach develops partnerships with companies and organizations, enabling executives and employees to participate in customized programs on campus, online, in blended formats, or on-site at the workplace.
- Lifelong Learning programs are for audiences of all ages. Casual learners or aspiring professionals can attend Seminars in Food, Wine and the Arts, earn a Certificate in the Culinary Arts, or pursue Wine Studies. The Evergreen Program offers BU courses to those over 58.
- Degree and certificate programs are available to military personnel, veterans, and their families at facilities in Massachusetts, North Carolina, and Virginia.
- Through the Prison Education Program, inmates at select Massachusetts correctional facilities can earn a bachelor’s degree in Interdisciplinary Studies.
Summer Term coordinates the University’s summer academic programming. Summer Term offers over 700 courses in as many as 70 subjects annually, attracting a vibrant mix of high school, college, and professional students from around the United States and the world.
- Summer Term’s high school programs offer an introduction to the college experience. High School Honors allows rising seniors and exceptional juniors to enroll in two BU courses. The Research Internship in Science & Engineering gives upcoming seniors a chance to engage in research with a BU faculty mentor. For students preparing to enter their sophomore, junior, or senior year, Summer Challenge offers a choice of academic seminars, while Summer Preview—especially for incoming freshmen or sophomores—immerses students in a one-week seminar.
- The 12-week Summer Study Internship Program provides visiting students with an opportunity to get hands-on work experience while earning academic credit.
The Center for Professional Education (CPE) specializes in non-credit certificate programs and individual courses for a professional audience and those seeking career enrichment or change. Courses are available evenings, Saturdays, and online.
The Distance Education office administers Boston University’s online programs, bringing high-quality degree and certificate programs to students worldwide.
Boston University’s Metropolitan College is committed to exploring what it means to be truly global in nature, so that our mission, organization, curriculum, and ventures abroad accurately reflect and accommodate the needs of students and industries worldwide. MET International delivers on-campus programs exclusively to students from international partner institutions. International students benefit from industry-leading academic models and gain access to the Boston University experience. Programs include the undergraduate Semester in Boston, as well as graduate certificates with internship opportunities.