ENG Undergraduate Degree Requirements

View Undergraduate Program Planning Sheets
View Registration information
View Intra-University Transfer to ENG information

All undergraduate engineering students are required to complete a minimum of 16 credits of coursework in mathematics and 12-16 credits of coursework in the natural sciences. Specific requirements in each of these subject areas are described below:


The following four courses in college calculus are required:
CAS MA 123 | Calculus I
CAS MA 124 | Calculus II
CAS MA 225 | Multivariate Calculus
CAS MA 226 | Differential Equations

Students in their first semester of study typically enroll in CAS MA 123, Calculus I, unless they have advanced credit or transfer credit in calculus.

Students with Calculus I advanced credit or transfer credit may choose to use it to satisfy the CAS MA 123 requirement. Such students enroll in CAS MA 124, then CAS MA 225, followed by CAS MA 226. Students with Calculus I & II advanced credit or transfer credit may choose to use it to satisfy the CAS MA 123 & CAS MA 124 requirement. These students enroll in CAS MA 225, followed by CAS MA 226.

Students who have previous experience in calculus, but do not receive advanced credit or transfer credit, are advised to first enroll in CAS MA 123. In exceptional circumstances, and with approval of their faculty advisor, such students may instead begin in CAS MA 124. These students must still satisfy the 16-credit math requirement by taking an advanced mathematics course in place of CAS MA 123.

Honors-level courses in Calculus and Differential Equations (CAS MA 230, CAS MA 231) are acceptable substitutions for CAS MA 225 and CAS MA 226, respectively.

Natural Sciences

All undergraduate engineering students are required to take a minimum of three natural science courses:
CAS CH 101 or 131 | Introductory Chemistry
CAS PY 211 | Physics I
CAS PY 212 | Physics II
Students in some majors are required to take additional natural science courses; see specific curricula for each program. Please note: students who have not declared their major but are at all considering biomedical engineering as a major should enroll in CAS CH 101 instead of CAS CH 131.

Students who wish to obtain a more in-depth foundation in chemistry may enroll in one of the following 2-course sequences in place of the CAS CH 101 & CAS CH 102 sequence:
1. CAS CH 101 & CAS CH 110
2. CAS CH 109 & CAS CH 110
3. CAS CH 108 & CAS CH 111
4. CAS CH 111 & CAS CH 112

Students who wish to obtain a more in-depth foundation in physics may enroll in one of the following 2-course sequences in place of the CAS PY 211 & CAS PY 212 sequence:
1. CAS PY 251 & CAS PY 252
2. CAS PY 351 & CAS PY 352

All undergraduate engineering programs include six core engineering courses, covering basic engineering sciences. These courses are typically taken during the freshman and sophomore years in preparation for upper-division courses.

ENG EK 102 | Introduction to Linear Algebra (2 cr)
ENG EK 125 | Programming for Engineers (4 cr)
ENG EK 131 or 132 | Introduction to Engineering (2 cr)
ENG EK 210 | Introduction to Engineering Design (2 cr)
ENG EK 301 | Engineering Mechanics I (4 cr)
ENG EK 307 | Electric Circuits (4 cr)

The College of Engineering General Education Requirement is intended to enhance effective communication, and to better understand the impact of engineering solutions in a global, economic, environmental, and/or societal context.

All undergraduate engineering students are required to complete a minimum of 24 credits of general education courses: a two-course writing sequence, a three-course distribution in humanities and social sciences; and a general education elective, as follows:

Writing Requirement | 8 credits
Social Science & Humanities Distribution | 12 credits
General Education Elective | 4 credits

The General Education sequence described above may be alternatively satisfied by participating in the CAS Core Curriculum or Kilachand Honors College; for more information about these programs, contact the Undergraduate Programs Office.

All College of Engineering undergraduate students are required to complete CAS WR 100 and CAS WR 150. Alternatively, the writing requirement may be fulfilled by a program such as the CAS Core Curriculum or Kilachand Honors College.

All College of Engineering undergraduate students are required to complete a minimum of 12 credits (3 courses) in the humanities and social sciences, enrolling in at least one social science course and at least one humanities course.

Social Sciences: The Social Sciences are the study of individual relationships in and with society. Students must take at least one course in the social sciences. Courses that fulfill this requirement must be chosen from the approved list of Social Sciences courses.

Humanities: The humanities are the branches of knowledge concerned with individuals and their culture. Students must take at least one course in the humanities. Courses that fulfill this requirement must be chosen from an approved list of Humanities courses.

The general education elective allows students to be exposed to fields of study beyond social sciences and humanities in order to further broaden their education. This 4-credit elective can be satisfied by appropriate combinations of 1-4 credit courses that include additional writing, social sciences, humanities, languages, fine arts, among others. Courses that fulfill this requirement must be chosen from the approved list of General Education Elective courses.

Please note: Non-native English speakers may not use a language course in their native language to fulfill this requirement. Students who are bilingual or fluent in a language other than English may not use a conversation course in that language to fulfill this requirement If they are unable to read or write in their second language, they may use a grammar or composition course for this requirement.

Students who transfer credit from another institution to satisfy any of their General Education requirements may incur a credit deficiency if any of these transferred courses are less than 4 credits. Students are responsible for making up any credit deficiencies in their General Education courses in order to complete the 24 required credits.

Information on requirements for these programs may be found here:
Special Programs

Petitions are requests to deviate from a degree requirement. To request a waiver of an academic regulation or requirement, a petition must be submitted. The petition must clearly state what is being requested and the reason(s) for the request. Petitions should be discussed with the student’s faculty advisor, requiring the advisor’s recommendation and signature. Please keep in mind that it is recommended that course substitution petitions be submitted prior to registering for that course. Completed petitions must be submitted to the (Undergraduate Records Office). Submitted petitions are reviewed by both the relevant department and the Associate Dean. Students are usually notified of the outcome within three weeks; unusual requests may take longer. Petition forms may be accessed in the relevant section here:
Petition Forms

Undergraduate engineering students may receive advanced credit by earning a qualifying score on the appropriate College Board AP examination. Students may also receive International Baccalaureate credit by earning a qualifying score on the appropriate subject-matter examination. In all cases, AP or IB examinations must be taken prior to matriculation at Boston University. To view a list of advanced credit courses, please review the Advanced Credit Guides.

Students who have taken the advanced credit examinations must have the official CEEB score reports submitted to the Admissions Office in order to determine eligibility for advanced credit. In the event that credit is awarded, students should confirm the posting of credit to their student record via the Student Link. Please note: if a student chooses to enroll in the same or equivalent course for which advanced credit has been awarded, the duplicate credits will not be applied to the degree. Courses taken at Boston University take precedence over AP credit. Freshmen must resolve all advanced credit issues within 6 months of initial registration at Boston University.

When a student has fulfilled all course and curricular requirements for a degree program with fewer credits than required for the degree (e.g., due to transferred courses from another school), the student must make up the credit deficiency in one of the following ways:

  1. Academic courses taken at Boston University or transferred from another institution that are not being used to satisfy College of Engineering degree program requirements. Multiple enrollments in the same or equivalent course, and courses below the minimum level required for an engineering degree (e.g. PY 106, MA 122, etc.) may not be used for this purpose.
  2. Extra credits earned when a 4-credit course is used to satisfy a 2-credit course requirement (e.g. MA 242 for MA 142)
  3. Extra credits earned when more than 4 credits are used to fulfill a 4-credit course requirement.
  4. Advanced Placement (AP) credit for courses not applied to the College of Engineering degree program, provided the course is not below the minimum level required for an engineering degree (e.g. AP credit for BI 107 is acceptable; AP credit for PY 105 and/or PY 106 is not acceptable). Note that if a student chooses to enroll in the same or equivalent course for which AP credit has been awarded, the duplicate credits cannot be used to fulfill a credit deficiency (e.g. AP credit for MA 123 and enrolls in MA 123; AP credit for MA 123, MA 124 and enrolls in MA 123, MA 124; AP credit for MA 123, MA 124 and enrolls in MA 127 – credit for MA 124 is forfeited; AP credit for PY 211 and enrolls in PY 251).
  5. Courses applied to a minor in excess of the minimum credits required for the degree (i.e. 12 credits more than credits required for the major program), excluding any courses counted toward both the major and the minor programs (maximum of 8 credits).

Students who are interested in entering the fields of medicine, dentistry, veterinary medicine or other health-related fields following their engineering degree should connect with the BU Pre-Professional Advising Office early in their undergraduate careers. This office can advise on all issues relating to professional goals, curriculum, professional school admission requirements, and the application process. The office also organizes meetings for interested students throughout their undergraduate years and maintains an extensive pre-medical and health careers library. BU pre-medical students may also be interested in the MMEDIC program.

Pre-medical students should be mindful that advanced credits (AP/IB/etc.) in a core science course typically will not satisfy pre-medical requirements, as medical schools prefer that science requirements are fulfilled while in college. If a students chooses to apply advanced credit for one of these courses, they are advised to take an alternate higher-level course in the same discipline.

The minimum requirements for most medical programs are:
1. 1-year of biology with laboratory
2. 1-year of general chemistry with laboratory
3. 1-year of organic chemistry with laboratory
4. 1-year of physics with laboratory
5. 1-year of English at the college-level: composition and/or literature
6. 1-year of mathematics is recommended and specifically required by some schools

Additionally, the College of Engineering social science and humanities requirements may be used to fulfill suggested curricula in psychology and sociology.

For further information, contact the BU Pre-Professional Advising Office:
100 Bay State Road, 4th floor
(617) 353-4866

In order to graduate, students must complete all of the degree requirements for their respective degree programs. Additionally, students must have a cumulative GPA of at least 2.00.

All students must also satisfy the General Education, Math, Natural Science and Residency requirements as described above.

Degree requirement: at least 48 credits of coursework taken at Boston University in the upper division of the student’s engineering degree program. A student’s upper division program consists of the program requirements and/or program electives required for the student’s major as listed on the program planning sheet for the junior and senior years. A credit deficiency in engineering credits must be satisfied by an engineering course. General Education courses do not count toward the residency requirement. The residency requirement must be completed within the five years preceding the student’s official date of graduation, with the exception of military service.

No more than 12 credits with a grade of D may be applied toward an engineering degree. This requirement applies only to the set of courses presented for graduation and not to all courses that may appear on the transcript. If a course is repeated to meet this requirement, both courses are included in computing the cumulative GPA.

Students who have transferred courses from another college or university and have satisfied all course requirements but are deficient in the number of credits required to graduate must make up the credit deficiency

The academic status of every student is reviewed at the end of each semester. Failure to make satisfactory progress and remain in Good Standing can result in Academic Probation, Suspension for a stated time or until stated conditions are met, or Dismissal, as detailed below.

Definition of GPI and GPA:
GPI or Grade Point Index is a single-semester indicator, calculated by dividing the grade points earned by the number of credits attempted.
GPA or Grade Point Average is a cumulative average, calculated across all enrolled semesters.

Dean’s List

The top 30% of students from each class year are placed on the Dean’s List of academic honor each semester. Dean’s List students must achieve a semester GPI of at least 3.0 for all courses taken with at least 12 credit hours, and have no incomplete, missing, or unresolved grades.

Good Academic Standing

Full-time students maintain good academic standing when they achieve all three of the following:
(1) earn at least 12 academic credits in the semester just completed
(2) earn a semester GPI of at least 2.00
(3) maintain a cumulative GPA of at least 2.00
Note: Academic credits do not include PDP credits. Grades for transfer credits are not counted in the grade point average.

Academic Probation

A student is put on Academic Probation when s/he is in danger of not making sufficient academic progress toward his/her degree, having fallen below a 2.00 GPI or GPA or not completed 12 credits in a semester. Students are reviewed after one semester on Academic Probation. Those who earn a GPI and GPA of 2.00 or above and complete 12 credits during the probationary semester will return to Good Standing. Those students who do not achieve Good Standing (as defined above) during the probationary semester will move to Academic Suspension, Dismissal, or a second semester of Academic Probation, as determined by the school or college of enrollment. Students can be on Academic Probation for no more than two consecutive semesters. Academic Probation does not prohibit students from participating in extracurricular activities or intercollegiate athletics.

Students currently on Academic Probation who have completed Boston University summer courses may request a review of their academic standing at the end of the summer session. Such a review would combine the summer session and the student’s previous semester of enrollment for the purposes of satisfying the credit threshold requirement related to Good Standing and for calculating the GPI and GPA.

Academic Suspension, Reinstatement after Academic Suspension, & Dismissal

Please review the policies.