Directions & Parking
Parking at Boston University is extremely limited due to ongoing campus improvements and the challenges of parking in Boston. We strongly advise that visitors utilize public transportation. If you choose to drive to campus, please plan to arrive early so you have ample time to locate parking prior to your visit.
The Boston University Admissions Reception Center is located at 121 Bay State Road in Boston’s historic Fenway-Kenmore neighborhood. Below, you will find directions via Boston’s subway system and driving. If you have any questions regarding these directions, please call the Admissions Reception Center at 617-353-2318, or email us.
The Massachusetts Bay Transit System (MBTA), called the T, is color-coded by line: Red, Blue, Orange, and Green. The Green Line “B” train passes right through the Boston University Charles River campus, continuing from Kenmore Square up along Commonwealth Avenue on the street level. This allows direct access for people on the Charles River Campus to the Downtown area, various cultural and historic locations or to get to the airport via the Blue Line or Silver Line connections.
Directions to campus via subway:
Your destination is the “Kenmore Station” stop on the Green Line. There are several ways to get to Kenmore Station, depending on where you enter the subway system:
- Take the Red Line to Park Street Station, where it intersects with the Green Line. Transfer to an outbound Green Line B, C, or D train to Kenmore Station.
- Take the Blue Line (including Airport stop) to Government Center, where it intersects with the Green Line. Transfer to an outbound Green Line B, C, or D train to Kenmore Station.
- Take the Orange Line to Downtown Crossing, where it intersects with the Green Line. Follow the underground concourse platform to the Green Line, then board an outbound B, C, or D train to Kenmore Station.
- Take the Green Line from any stop between Lechmere and Hynes Convention Center: Board any outbound B, C, or D train to Kenmore Station.
- Take the Green Line from the suburban branch of the “B” train (any stop between the Boston College and Boston University West stations): Take an inbound train to Kenmore Station. If you are at the Boston University Central, Boston University East, or Blandford Street stations, you are within easy walking distance and may not need to board a train.
- Take the Green Line from the suburban branch of the “C” train (any stop between the Cleveland Circle and St. Mary’s Street stations): Take an inbound train to Kenmore Station.
- Take the Green Line from the suburban branch of the “D” train (any stop between the Riverside and Fenway stations): Take an inbound train to Kenmore Station.
- Take the Green Line from the suburban branch of the “E” train (any stop between the Prudential Center and Heath Street stations): Take an inbound train to Arlington Station, then transfer to an outbound B, C, or D train to Kenmore Station.
From Logan Airport:
Take Route 1A Boston to Sumner Tunnel, then proceed to Storrow Drive. Follow Storrow Drive West to the Kenmore Square exit. Follow local directions below.
From the North:
Take Route 1 or I-93 South to Boston. After the bridge, take the Storrow Drive/Cambridge exit. Follow Storrow Drive approximately 2 miles to the Kenmore Square exit. Follow local directions below.
From the Southeast:
Take I-95 or Route 3 North to I-93 North into Boston. Take exit 26 onto Storrow Drive and follow 2 miles to the Kenmore Square exit. Follow local directions below.
From the South:
Washington, DC or NYC, take I-95 N to New Haven, CT. Then take I-91 N to Hartford, where you will get I-84 East. Follow this to I-90 East, the Massachusetts Turnpike. Follow the directions from the West below.
From the West:
Take the Massachusetts Turnpike (I-90) East to Exit 18, Brighton/Cambridge. Follow the right side of the ramp towards Cambridge. At the bottom of the ramp there will be several traffic lights. Turn right at the hotel onto Storrow Drive. Exit Storrow Drive at the Kenmore Square exit. Follow local directions below.
From the Kenmore Square exit off Storrow Drive, follow ramp to traffic lights. Turn right onto Beacon Street. At this point, the road will fork. Follow the right side of fork for all Bay State Road destinations.
Otherwise, follow the left side of fork into Kenmore Square and at the second traffic light, bear right for all Commonwealth Avenue destinations.
Cash-only parking is available in the Granby parking lot at the corner of 665 Commonwealth Avenue and Granby Street. Please note that this lot fills up very early each day. There are a limited number of metered parking spots throughout campus. Those on Commonwealth Avenue and Bay State Road are closest to the Reception Center. They have varying restrictions and time limits:
- Meters on Bay State Road west of Deerfield St. have 4 hr limits
- Most other meters on campus have 2 hr limits—but always check!
- Quarters only: 1 quarter/12min = 5 quarters/hr = $1.25/hr
- There is a quarter machine at the Reception Center if needed