BA in Japanese Language & Literature
A prerequisite of CAS LJ 212 (or equivalent placement) and thirteen courses with a grade of C or higher are required. Students must complete a minimum of six principal courses at Boston University.
- Two of the following: CAS LX 250, CAS LL/XL 222, LL/XL 223, LL/XL 224, XL 225. CAS CC 101 and 102 together may be substituted for CAS XL 222. (Comparative literature courses carried LL numbers through Spring 2009 and converted to XL numbers as of Fall 2009. For degree purposes, LL and XL courses are identical.)
- Three language courses: CAS LJ 303, 304, and one of LJ 320, LJ 385, LJ 403, or LJ 404. Language courses taken at the Kyoto Center for Japanese Studies (KCJS) may also count toward this requirement.
- Three courses in Japanese literature: CAS LJ 250 and two from LJ 251, LJ 350, LJ 451, LJ 480, and LJ 481. (LJ 451 may be taken more than once if topic has changed.)
- Two courses in Japanese civilization: CAS LJ 281 or LJ 445, and one additional from LJ 281, LJ 282, LJ 283, LJ 441, or LJ 445.
- Three additional CAS LJ courses at the 400 level or above or related courses in MLCL or other departments as approved by the advisor. (Non-language courses taken at KCJS may also count toward this requirement.)
A placement test is required of all students whose most recent course in Japanese was taken while in high school or at a college other than Boston University and who wish to continue their study of this language here. Information on testing dates and times is available in the department.