Access to Other Libraries
Members of the BU Law community also enjoy access to libraries across campus, the city of Boston, and beyond. You may visit these libraries to research, study, or access resources not held by the Law Libraries, with some restrictions.
As part of OneBU, BU students, faculty, staff and alumni enjoy access and borrowing privileges at all Boston University Libraries.
Mugar Memorial Library, the primary library for study and research at Boston University, is located next to the Law School in the George Sherman Union. The following branch libraries are also available to students:
- African Studies Library
- Astronomy Library
- Howard Gotlieb Archival Research Center
- Music Library
- Pardee Management Library
- Pickering Educational Resources Library
- Science & Engineering Library
- Stone Science Library
The Theology Library is located adjacent to Marsh Chapel on the west side of the courtyard. The library entrance is on the second floor of the School of Theology.
The Alumni Medical Library is located at 80 East Concord Street on the Medical Campus.
Boston Academic Law Libraries
Search the library catalogs
- Boston College Library (includes Law Library)
- Harvard University Libraries–HOLLIS (includes Law Library)
- New England School of Law Library
- Northeastern University Library (includes Law Library)
- Suffolk University Library (includes Law Library)
Visit another Boston law library
- Plan to visit another library when:
- you can’t wait for the item to be sent to us or;
- the library requires on-site use
Please ask at the reference desk about visiting another library before you make the trip, as we may need to write you a referral letter so you may gain entrance to the library.
The Law Library and Boston University belong to a number of consortia in Boston and beyond. Through these consortia, you can visit member libraries and use materials on-site.
Current law students may use their Terrier Card to borrow library materials from Brandeis, Boston College, and Northeastern University just as you would at Boston University. Current law students with a Boston Library Consortium (BLC) card may borrow circulating materials or visit and use non-circulating materials at BLC member libraries, located throughout the greater Boston area.
Current law students who need to use materials on-site at many of the NELLCO Law Library Consortium libraries, located throughout the greater New England Area can present their BU ID at the entrance to obtain access. Please speak with a reference librarian about access when making plans to visit these libraries.
To visit private university libraries that are not affiliated with the consortia listed above you will need to obtain a referral letter from a reference librarian. Please visit the reference desk or Ask Us for more information.
Boston Library Consortium
The Boston Library Consortium is an association of 16 academic and research libraries located in Massachusetts, Connecticut, New Hampshire, and Rhode Island.
Use your BLC Consortium card to gain access to these libraries:
- Boston College
- University of Massachusetts Amherst
- Boston University
- UMass Boston
- Brandeis University
- UMass Dartmouth
- Marine Biological Laboratory & Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution
- UMass Lowell
- Northeastern University
- University of New Hampshire
- State Library of Massachusetts
- University of Rhode Island
- Wellesley College
- University of Connecticut
- Williams College
Access to a NELLCO Member Law Library
- Current law students must present their BU ID
- Some libraries may also require visitor registration
- NELLCO access is for listed law libraries only. If you need access to a law library in a another university, please see a Reference Librarian to obtain an access letter
NELLCO Law Library Consortium Home Pages
- Albany Law School – Schaffer Law Library
- Boston College Law Library
- Boston University – Samuel M. Fineman and Pappas Law Libraries
- Columbia University – Arthur W. Diamond Law Library
- Connecticut Judicial Branch Library System
- Connecticut State Library
- Cornell Law School
- Fordham University School of Law Library
- Franklin Pierce Law Center Library
- Harvard Law School Library
- Massachusetts Trial Court Law Libraries
- New England School of Law Library
- New York University School of Law Library
- Northeastern School of Law Library
- Quinnipiac University School of Law Library
- Rhode Island State Law Library
- Roger Williams University School of Law Library
- Social Law Library
- Suffolk University- John Joseph Moakley Law Library
- University of Connecticut Law School Library
- University of Maine School of Law – Garbrecht Law Library
- University of Pennsylvania Law School
- Vermont Law School
- Western New England University School of Law Library
- Yale Law School – Lillian Goldman Library