Student Records

Your BU student records are maintained by the School of Law Registrar’s Office. If you need to request an enrollment verification letter, make changes to your name or address, or restrict access to information that appears in the BU directory, please follow the procedures below.

Enrollment Verification Letters

Enrollment verification letters may be requested from the Law Registrar’s Office in most instances. The Registrar will also complete loan deferral forms and verification forms for insurance purposes. Letters of good standing for transferring to or attending other institutions are provided by the Associate Dean for Student Affairs. Students may contact the Registrar’s Office with questions regarding enrollment verification.

Name Change Procedure

Students who require a change of name on their Law School and University records must submit a change of name form with the appropriate documentation to the School of Law Registrar’s Office. The change of name form is available in School of Law Registrar’s Office. We will forward the documentation to the University Registrar.

Address Change Procedures

Visit the MyBU Student Portal to update your address information.

Student Data Use & Restrictions

Boston University may disclose any of the following items of directory information without the prior written consent of students unless notified in writing to the contrary. Boston University designates these items as directory information:

  • Academic program (degree, major, minor)
  • Dates of attendance; full- and part-time status
  • Degrees, honors, and awards received; hometown for University releases concerning these degrees and honors.
  • Email directory lookup
  • Local/dorm address* and BU directory phone number
  • School or College
  • Listing in Commencement Program
  • Listing in Bostonia Yearbook

*If the University has only a home address in New England, New Jersey, or New York, it is considered the local address. Changes can be made at any time using the Student Link, or at the Registrar’s Office. Students who have restricted their data will not appear in the University Directory published in the fall semester.

Please note: Data restrictions remain in effect even after graduation. If a student has a data restriction, the Registrar’s Office cannot confirm the restricted information without the student’s permission. The restriction may be added or reversed by submitting a written and signed request to the Registrar’s Office. Current students may change their restriction on the Student Link.