Transferring to Boston University’s J Program

This section is for new students or current students who are already in J-1 student status under another Exchange Visitor Program sponsor, but wish to transfer to Boston University’s J-1 Exchange Visitor Program.  It will describe the steps needed to comply with program transfer regulations of the U.S. Department of State (DOS). 

USCIS Form DS-2019

In order to transfer your status to Boston University, you must be admitted for full-time study and be issued a Boston University Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor (J-1) Status (Form DS-2019).  Please see our section for admissions information if you have not yet been admitted to the University for full-time study.

Read all information on your DS-2019 as soon as you receive it.  If any information on the form is incorrect, immediately contact the International Students and Scholars Office (ISSO).  If all information is correct, sign and date the form.

If you have dependents (spouse and/or children under the age of 21) who will accompany you or who will be traveling to the U.S. separately to join you, they must each receive their own DS-2019.  Your dependents will also each require their own DS-2019 to obtain J-2 visas before they can enter the U.S. from abroad. 

Request to Be Released by Your Current J Program Sponsor

You must notify the Responsible Officer of your current J-1 Exchange Visitor Program of your intent to transfer to Boston University.  Before the ISSO can issue you a DS-2019, the Responsible Officer of your current J program must “release” your SEVIS record to Boston University.

Additional Information

The ISSO is pleased to provide you with information, advice, and assistance on any visa or immigration matter that relates to your activities at Boston University.  If you are in the Boston area, we invite you to contact us and make an appointment to speak with your ISSO advisor.