In order to enroll in a course at a school or college (within the U.S.) other than Boston University and have the credits transfer to your BU academic record, the following sequence must be adhered to in order to receive approval from the appropriate department at BU. Transfer Credit Approval forms must be submitted and approved before students begin taking classes at other institutions.
Residency requirement: In addition to satisfying all BS degree requirements, a minimum of 48 credits of coursework must be taken at Boston University in the upper-division program. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.
Students should note that transfer courses will not receive Hub units. Additional course work may be required.
Visit the BU Transfer Equivalency site to see if the course you wish to take has already been pre-approved
BU Transfer Equivalency site (Transferology)
Prior approval from the College of Engineering is required for any course that you plan to take at another institution. Review this site carefully, including all of the notes below; if any information is unclear, contact the Undergraduate Records Office for clarification.
If the course you wish to take at another U.S. institution has already been pre-approved according to the BU Transfer Equivalency site
- Complete the Transfer Credit Approval Form
- Indicate the course has been pre-approved and attached documentation from the Transferology page.
- Submit the completed Transfer Credit Approval Form to your Faculty Advisor for approval.
- Submit all paperwork (approved by faculty advisor and department) to the Undergraduate Records Office at email@example.com
Please note, use the Excel download, as we can not accept jpeg files or pictures of documents.
Submit an official transcript
Undergraduate Records Office
44 Cummington Mall, Room 107
Boston, MA 02215
Credit for the course will be applied to your BU academic record when the Undergraduate Records Office has received approval for all transfer credit application materials AND an official transcript on record.
- During the academic year, courses will not be considered for transfer credit from another institution when the equivalent course is offered during the same semester at Boston University.
- Boston University students may not satisfy program requirements through the transfer of credit earned in the summer offerings of other institutions located within the Greater Boston area unless:
- a) the credit involved is for a required course not offered through Boston University’s Summer Term;or
- b) prior approval has been obtained from both the responsible department chair and dean of the requesting student.
- Credit is posted only after an official transcript is received showing a grade of C or higher. Courses with grades below C are not acceptable for transfer credit, nor are courses graded Pass/Fail.
- Grade(s) earned at an external institution will not calculate into your cumulative Boston University grade point average.
- The number of credits for the course must be indicated on the approval form. If the course is a 4-credit course at a school on a semester system, the student will receive 4 transfer credits. If the course is a 4-credit course from an institution on a quarter system, the student will receive 2.66 credits (1 quarter hour credit = 2/3 semester hour credit). A minimum of 2.50 semester hour credits is required to satisfy a specific curricular requirement. Students are responsible for ensuring that any credit deficiency that may result from courses transferred from another institution is satisfied by additional credits from other acceptable sources. Students may confirm the number of credits posted via the Student Link.
- Please note that courses presented for transfer that are taken during the last semester of candidacy may not be processed in time to meet commencement deadlines.
Additional BU Department Information
- Please find International transfer credit instructions on this page.