3rd Annual Imagineering Competition
The College is excited to announce the third annual Imagineering Competition. Through the generous support of John Maccarone (ENG’66), the Imagineering Competition is designed to reinforce the ideals of creating the Societal Engineer by giving students the opportunity to express their creativity and entrepreneurial capabilities on ideas that impact people and society. The competition provides a framework in which interested undergraduate students can, individually or as a team, create and enter an original project in the competition. Prizes for the competition are as follows:
- 1st Prize - $2,500, plus assistance with patent submission, marketing analysis consultation, invitation to serve on Competition Committee the following year.
- 2nd Prize - $1,500, assistance with patent submission, marketing analysis consultation.
- 3rd Prize - $1,000, assistance with patent submission, marketing analysis consultation.
- Open to all engineering undergraduates, individually or in teams. Open to other BU undergraduate students as long as there is at least one engineering student on the team. Leveraging the abilities of students from other BU colleges and schools is not only appropriate but encouraged.
- Projects can be started at any time after the official competition announcement date of November 15, 2013. Competition applications/entrance forms must be submitted by April 1st (see Imagineering Competition website).
- The competition will end on April 15th with the projects being judged by the Competition Committee between April 16th - 19th.
- Students should generate their own project ideas. No senior projects can be submitted to the competition. All intellectual property will be maintained by the student participant(s).
- The Imagineering Competition website will post a list of possible project topics that you can choose from if you are having difficulty generating your own.
- The Imagineering Lab will also maintain a list of names who wish to be part of a team but have not formed one. This should allow students the opportunity of working on a team without having to find enough interested individuals on their own.
- Projects can address any application, but are particularly encouraged in the areas of healthcare, especially at the intersection of healthcare and IT; energy and sustainability; security, especially cybersecurity; and global technologies for the developing world.
- Originality, ingenuity and creativity of project
- Quality of design and prototype
- Functionality of project
- Relationship to areas of emphasis
The Competition Committee reserves the right to withhold any and all awards if in their judgment the project does not rise to the level of excellence as outlined in the Competition Criteria. Winners are under no obligation to patent or market their work. All intellectual property generated by the competition participants remains solely their own.
Competition Project Review Format
A short presentation/demonstration (15 minutes) is required to present your project to the Competition Committee. During the presentation/demonstration the following areas should be covered:
- Origin of idea
- Purpose of prototype
- Design features
- Build/assembly process
- Brief description of potential market and customer impact
The presentation/demonstration will be followed by a short question and answer period by the Competition Committee.
- The Imagineering Lab will be available for your team’s use. The lab assistants are available to answer questions and assist your team with equipment needs.
- Materials and parts that are not normally stocked in the Imagineering lab can be requested through the lab assistants.
- Should the need arise, we may be able to appoint a faculty member as an advisor.
Should you have any questions concerning this competition, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
GOOD LUCK IN YOUR IMAGINEERING!!!
- Contact Us
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Student Organizations
- Engineering Product Innovation Center (EPIC)
- Singh Imagineering Laboratory
- Ingalls Engineering
- Annual Events
- ENG Career Development Office