Professor (ECE, MSE, Physics)
Head of the Division of Materials Science and Engineering
Interim Associate Dean for Research and Graduate Programs
PhD, Cornell University, 1978
Honors, Awards, and Editorships
- Phi Beta Kappa, Syracuse University
- Bausch and Lomb Honorary Science Award
- Fellow, American Physical Society
- Chosen by the AIP history site as part of an “Array of Contemporary American Physicists”
- Distinguished Member of the Technical Staff, AT&T Bell Labs
- Bell Labs Fellow, Bell Labs, Lucent Technologies
- Nanotech Briefs’ Nano50 Innovator Award (2006)
- Good Scout Award for leadership in local youth programs
- AT&T Affirmative Action Award for diversity recruiting and hiring
- American Physical Society’s George E. Pake Prize (2009)
- low temperature physics
- mechanical properties of materials at low temperatures
- MEMS and NEMS
- MEMS in lightwave networks
- all-optical switching
- superconductivity and superfluidity
- magnetic vortices in superconductors and their phase transitions
- Casimir effect and Casimir oscillators
- VLSI cooling using nano-patterned structures
- energy efficient networking
- electron coherence effects in metallic nanostructures at low temperatures
- cybersecurity and protecting critical infrastructure
- D. J. Bishop, A. Hartman, D. Kilper, S. Korotky, and D. Suvakovic, “Greentouch and Energy Efficient Networking: Avoiding the Coming Energy Catastrophe,” MILCOM, October 31-November 3, 2010.
- V. A. Askyuk, S. Arney, N. R. Basavanhally, D. J. Bishop, C. A. Bolle, C. C. Chang, R. Frahm, A. Gasparyan, J. V. Gates , R. George, C. R. Giles, J. Kim, P. R. Kolodner, T. M. Lee, D. T. Neilson , C. Nijander , C.J. Nuzman, A. Paczkowski, A. R. Papazian, F. Pardo, D. A. Ramsey, R. Ryf, R. E. Scotti, H. Shea, and M. E. Simon, “238 x 238 Micromechanical Optical Cross Connect,” IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 587-589, April 2003.
- C. R. Giles, D. Bishop, and V. Aksyuk, “MEMS for Light-Wave Networks,” MRS Bulletin, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 328-330, 2001.
- D. Bishop, A. Heuer and D. Williams (Guest Editors), “MRS Bulletin Dedicated Issue on MEMS Systems,” Technology and Applications, vol. 26, no. 4, 2001.
- H. B. Chan, V. A. Aksyuk, R. N. Kleiman, D. J. Bishop, and F. Capasso, “Nonlinear Micromechanical Casimir Oscillator,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 87, no. 21, pp. 211801-211804, October 2001.
- H. B. Chan, V. A. Aksyuk, R. N. Kleiman, D. J. Bishop, and F. Capasso, “Quantum Mechanical Actuation of Microelectromechanical Systems by the Casimir Force,” Science, vol. 291, no. 5510, pp. 1941-1944, February 2001.
- D. Bishop, P. Gammel, and C. Randy Giles, “The Little Machines that are Making it Bit,” Physics Today, vol 54. no. 10, pp. 38-44, October 2001.
- D. Bishop, C. R. Giles and S. Das, “The Rise of Optical Switching,” Scientific American, vol. 284, no. 1, pp. 88094, January 2001.
- C. A. Bolle, V. Aksyuk, F. Pardo, P. L. Gammel, E. Zeldov, E. Bucher, R. Boie, D. J. Bishop, and D. R. Nelson, “Observation of Mesoscopic Vortex Physics Using Micromechanical Oscillators,” Nature, vol. 399, pp. 43-46, May 1999.
- V. Aksyuk, F. F. Balakierv, G. S. Boebinger, P. L. Gammel, R. C. Haddon, and D. J. Bishop, “Micromechanical ‘Trampoline’ Magnetometers for Use in Large Pulsed Magnetic Fields,” Science, vol. 280, pp. 720-722, May 1998.
- F. Pardo, F. de la Cruz, P. L. Gammel, E. Bucher and D.J. Bishop, “Real Space Images of Flowing Vortex Lattices and the Observations of Smectic and Moving Bragg Glass Phases,” Nature, pp. 396-348, November 1998.
- M. R. Eskilden, P. L. Gammel, E. D. Isaacs, C. Detlefs, K. Mortensen, D. J. Bishop, “Compound Refractive Optics for Imaging and Focusing with Long Wavelength Neutrons,” Nature, vol. 391, pp. 563, 1998.
- P. L. Gammel and D. J. Bishop, “Finger-Painting Superconducting Vortices with Magnetic Smoke,” Science, vol. 279, pp. 410, 1998.
- U. Yaron, P. L. Gammel, G. S. Boebinger, E. Bucher, D. J. Bishop, G. Aeppli, P. E. Schiffer, C. Broholm, and K. Mortensen, “Small Angle Neutron Scattering Study of the Vortex Lattice in UPt3: Structural Evidence for a Microscopic Phase Transition in the Mixed State,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 78, no. 16, pp. 3189, April 1997.
- D. J. Bishop, “Flux Lattice Melting,” Science, vol. 273, no. 5283, pp. 1811, September 1996.
- D. J. Bishop, “Has the Fat Lady Sung?” Nature, vol. 382, no. 6594, pp. 760-761, 1996.
- U. Yaron, P. L. Gammel, D. A. Huse, R. N. Kleiman, C. S. Oglesby, E. Bucher, B. Batlogg, D. J. Bishop, K. Mortensen, and K. N. Clausen, “Structural Evidence for a Two-Step Process in the Depinning of the Superconducting Flux-Line Lattice,” Nature, vol. 376, pp. 753-755, 1995.
- D. J. Bishop, “Nomadic Vortices,” Nature, vol. 371, pp. 746-747, October 1994.
- D. J. Bishop, P. L. Gammel, and D. A. Huse, “Understanding the Resistance of Superconductors,” Scientific American, vol. 268, pp. 48, 1993.
- D. J. Bishop, “Those Melting Moments,” Nature, vol. 365, pp. 394-395, September 1993.
- D. J. Bishop, “Heroic Holograms,” Nature, vol. 366, pp. 209, November 1993.
- D. J. Bishop, P. L. Gammel, D. A. Huse, and C. A. Murray, “Magnetic Flux Line Lattices and Vortices in the Copper Oxide Superconductors,” Science, vol. 255, pp. 165, January 1992.
- R. N. Kleiman, C. Broholm, G. Aeppli, E. Bucher, N. Stuchelli, D. J. Bishop, K. Clausen, B. Howard, K. Mortensen, and J. S. Pedersen, “Neutron Diffraction from the Vortex Lattice in the Heavy Fermion Superconductor UPt3,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 69, no. 21, pp. 3120-3123, November 1992.
- H. Safar, P. L. Gammel, C. A. Duran, D. J. Bishop, J. P. Rice, and D. Gm. Ginsberg, “Experimental Evidence for a First Order Vortex Lattice Melting Transition in Untwinned, Single Crystal YBCO,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 69, no. 5, pp. 824-827, August 1992.
- D. G. Grier, C. A. Murray, C. A. Bolle, P. L. Gammel, D. J. Bishop, D. Mitzi, and A. Kapitulnik, “Translational and Bond Orientational Order in the Vortex Lattice of the High Tc Superconductor BSCCO,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 66, pp. 2270-2273, April 1991.
- P. L. Gammel, L. F. Schneemeyer, J. V. Waszczak and D. J. Bishop, “Evidence from Mechanical Measurements for Flux Lattice Melting in Single Crystal YBCO and BSCCO,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 61, pp. 1666, 1988.
- D. J. Bishop and J. D. Reppy, “A Precision Measurement of the Superfluid Density of a Two-Dimensional Superfluid,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 40, pp. 1727, 1978.