Professor (ECE, SE)
Head of the Division of Systems Engineering
PhD, Harvard University, 1982
Honors, Awards, and Editorships
- Editor-in-Chief, IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control (1998-2009)
- Member, IEEE Control Systems Society Board of Governors
- Fellow, IEEE
- Lilly Fellow (1991)
- Fellow, IFAC
- IEEE Control Systems Technology Award (2011)
- Distinguished Member Award, IEEE Control Systems Society, (2006)
- Harold Chestnut Prize (IFAC Best Control Engineering Textbook), (1999)
- IEEE Distinguished Lecturer, (2001-2004)
- Department Editor, Journal of Discrete Event Dynamic Systems (1989 – present)
- Associate Editor, International Journal of Intelligent Computing and Cybernetics (2007-present)
- Associate Editor, International Journal of BioSciences and Technology (2008-present)
- Past Associate Editor, Automatica (1993-2002)
- Past Associate Editor, IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control (1991-1993)
- Past Editor, Technical Notes and Correspondence, IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control (1994-1998)
- Honorary Professor, Huazhong University of Science and Technology
- Honorary Professor, Wuhan University of Science and Technology
- IBM/IEEE Smarter Planet Challenge competition, 2nd prize, student team led by Yanfeng Gang (2011)
- Kern Fellow (2012)
- President, IEEE Control Systems Society (2012)
- Plenary Speaker, 24th Chinese Control and Decision Conference (May 2012)
- Boston University Office of Technology Development Ignition Award (2012)
- Zhu Kezhan Award (2012)
- SE/EC/ME 733 Discrete Event and Hybrid Systems
- EK 500 Probability and Statistical Methods
- discrete event and hybrid systems
- stochastic control and optimization
- computer and communication networks
- wireless sensor networks
- manufacturing systems
- supply chain management
- computer simulation
- command-control systems
- Center for Information and Systems Engineering
- Clean Energy and Environmental Sustainability Initiative
- Systems Engineering
- C. G. Cassandras, Discrete Event Systems: Modeling and Performance Analysis, Irwin Publishing, 1993. (Harold Chestnut Prize, IFAC Best Control Engineering Textbook, 1999)
- C. G. Cassandras and S. G. Strickland, “On-Line Sensitivity Analysis of Markov Chains,” IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 76-86, January 1989.
- F. J. Vazquez-Abad, C. G. Cassandras, and V. Julka, “Centralized and Decentralized Asynchronous Optimization of Stochastic Discrete Event Systems,” IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, vol. 43, no. 5, pp. 631-655, May 1998.
- C. G. Cassandras, D. L. Pepyne, and Y. Wardi, “Optimal Control of a Class of Hybrid Systems,” IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, vol. 46, no. 3, pp. 398-415, March 2001.
- W. Li, and C. G. Cassandras, “A Cooperative Receding Horizon Controller for Multi-Vehicle Uncertain Environments,” IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, vol. 51, no. 2, pp. 242-257, February 2006.
- C. G. Cassandras, Y. Wardi, B. Melamed, G. Sun, and C. G. Panayiotou, “Perturbation Analysis for On-Line Control and Optimization of Stochastic Fluid Models,” IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, vol. 47, no. 8, pp. 1234-1248, 2002.
- C. G. Cassandras and W. Li, “Sensor Networks and Cooperative Control,” European Journal of Control, vol. 11, no. 4-5, pp. 436-463, 2005.
- J. Mao, C. G. Cassandras, and Q. Zhao, “Optimal Dynamic Voltage Scaling in Energy-Limited Nonpreemptive Systems with Real-Time Constraints,” IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, vol. 6, no. 6, pp. 678-688, 2007.
- M. Zhong and C. G. Cassandras, “Asynchronous Distributed Optimization with Event-Driven Communication,” IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, vol. 55, no. 12, pp. 2735-2750, May 3, 2010.