Core Writing Fellows
Writing Fellows are available for one-on-one tutoring appointments with students taking courses across the Core Curriculum. WFs are happy to consult with you about any Core writing assignment at any stage of the writing process.
Booking an appointment with your assigned Fellow
Many discussion sections will have a designated Writing Fellow for students to book appointments with. To make an appointment with your designated fellow, communicate with them directly, as per the instructions they will have provided to you in discussion section. They will confirm the time and location of your meeting. In the current semester, the following sections have Writing Fellows assigned:
- Frankie Vanaria, American Studies: firstname.lastname@example.org. For students in B2 (Martin) and B3 (Row). Office hours: Wed 2:30-5, location TBD; Fri 2:30-5 in CAS 328. (Google Calendar)
- Emma Jerndal, Philosophy: email@example.com. For students in B6 (Esposito) and C4 (Backman).
- Laura Tourtellotte, Anthropology: firstname.lastname@example.org. For students in C6 and C7 (Sims) and B9 (Nelson). (SignUpGenius)
- Tom Nunan, American Studies: email@example.com. For students in C2 and C5 (Klancer). Office hours in CAS 328: Mon 1:50-4:50, Wed 2:15-5:15. Appointments via SignUpGenius.com.
- Liam Cruz Kelly, English: firstname.lastname@example.org. For students in B1 (Walsh) and B8 (Prentice). Office hours: Wed 10:30am-1:30pm, in English Rm 102; Thurs 12:30-3 pm in CAS 328. (Signup Genius)
- Emma Newcombe, American Studies: email@example.com. For students in C3 (Hamill) and B7 (McDonough). Office hours in CAS 328: Tues 11:30-2, Wed 11:40-2:15. (Google Calendar)
- Blake Huggins, Religion: firstname.lastname@example.org. For students in B4 (Speight) and D1 (Johnson).
- Matt Dill, Philosophy: email@example.com. For CC 211 students in B3 (Sreedhar) and C2 (Petrovic).
- Ryan Patten, Editorial Institute: firstname.lastname@example.org. For students in CC 201 (Ricks). Office hours in the Editorial Institute, Room 106: Mon 12-1, Tues 2-4:30. (Google Calendar)
Students are advised to bring a draft of their paper (if one has been written by the time of the appointment) as well as a copy of the writing assignment, to their meeting with the Fellow.
Booking an appointment with an at-large Fellow
In addition to the Fellows assigned to sections as listed above, the following Writing Fellows are available to meet on an at-large basis:
- Martha Lagace (Anthropology) for ESL students: email@example.com. Office hours: Tues 11:30-2 in CAS 119, 2-4:30 in CAS 328; Wed 8:25-11:40 in CAS 328, 11:40-12:15 in CAS 328; 12:15-12:45 in CAS 119. (Google Calendar)
- Allison Vanouse (Editorial Institute) for students in CC 101, 201 and 211. Office hours Tues 11-1:40 in the Editorial Institute library, 143 Bay State Road (sign-up sheet available in the Core office) or by appointment: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Lauren Kerby (Religion) for students in CC 201: email@example.com. Office hours in CAS 119: Tues 2-3. Additional appointments may be made with the direction of the discussion leader.
To book an appointment with an at-large Fellow who use Google Calendar:
- Make sure you are logged on with your BU email (Google) account.
- Click one the link to the Fellow’s Google appointments calendar (listed above).
- On that calendar, identify an open time slot that fits your schedule.
- In the “WHAT” section of that appointment slot, add your name and BU email address.
- Click “Save.”
If you would like to cancel your appointment, click on the slot, and select “Cancel”. Your WF will receive notification. Please make sure your own calendar is set to Eastern Standard Time to ensure you have the correct time!
International students, take note: additional ESL help is also available through the Educational Resource Center (ERC) and the College of Communication. The ERC offers 30-minute ESL sessions, and COM’s Writing Center is open to all BU students.
Additional writing resources:
- Writing FAQs
- The Core Online Writing Handbook
- the Purdue Online Writing Lab (offsite)
- for Fellows: the Core “blue sheet”, in PDF and DOCX formats
- forthcoming, for Fellows: the Core “blue sheet” in PDF format with live form fields for electronic submission
Core writers are encouraged to refer to Hacker and Sommers’ Rules for Writers, 8th Edition as a guide to usage and citation.