Summer Legal English Programs
Summer Legal English Program at CELOP
Boston University’s Center for English Language & Orientation Programs (CELOP) offers a six-week Summer Program in Legal English designed to provide international jurists with the language and academic skills needed to succeed in a demanding LLM program. Foreign-educated LLM students entering BU Law are strongly encouraged to enroll, as the program provides an important orientation to upcoming studies.
The Summer Program in Legal English:
- Runs from early July to late August
- Is open to all foreign jurists who have been admitted to an LLM program at an American law school in the following fall semester
- Is intended to complement, not replace, the Introduction to American Law course that most foreign LLM students take as part of their graduate studies
Note: In some cases, completion of the Summer Program in Legal English will be a requirement for final admission to BU School of Law.
Through small-class instruction led by CELOP’s distinguished faculty and through carefully selected law-related materials and assignments, students:
- Build their legal English vocabularies and strengthen their legal English writing skills
- Receive exposure to fundamental aspects of the American legal system and several substantive doctrines central to American law
- Become acquainted with the materials, methodologies, and culture of American law school instruction