Minor in Italian

The minor in Italian provides any student who can qualify for fifth- or sixth-semester Italian language study (CAS LI 306E [taught in Padua], 310E [taught in Padua], 311, 312, 313) with the opportunity to combine their chosen major with an intensive program in Italian language, literature, and culture. Italian Studies minors are encouraged to spend at least one semester at Boston University’s Centro Studi in Padua, where they may live with an Italian family and may pursue coursework in any field, alongside local students, at the University of Padua. CAS Italian Studies minors come from many departments and programs, most recently from International Relations, English, History of Arts & Architecture, Religion, Psychological & Brain Sciences, Classical Studies, and from College of Communication (COM) majors in journalism and film & television.


(Unless otherwise indicated, all required courses are 4 credit hours.)

  • Six courses numbered CAS LI 254 and above, including at least one from the LI 350, 351, 352 course sequence and at least one from literature courses at the 400 or 500 level.
  • Up to four courses taken at Boston University’s Study Abroad program in Padua may count toward the minor.
  • Students may include up to three transfer courses from other colleges, universities, or non-Boston University study abroad programs and must take a minimum of three courses (or a minimum of two, if they have four courses approved for credit toward the minor from Boston University’s Centro Studi in Padua) on the Charles River Campus.
  • Internships taken through Boston University or other study abroad programs may not be credited toward the minor. A grade of C or higher is required in all courses taken toward the minor.

Placement Test

A placement test is required of all students whose most recent course in Italian was taken in high school or at a college other than Boston University and who wish to continue their study of Italian here. Information regarding online placement exams is available in the Department of Romance Studies or on the departmental website.