Helen Barbas, PhD
Helen Barbas, PhD
- Professor, Department of Health Sciences, Boston University Sargent College
Programs in Human Physiology
Professor, Department of Anatomy & Neurobiology, Boston University School of Medicine
Lecturer in Neurology, Harvard Medical School
- B.A. (Liberal Arts), Kean College, Union, NJ, 1972
M.S. (Psychobiology), Kansas State University, Manhattan, KS, 1974
PH.D.(Physiology/Neurophysiology), McGill University, Montreal, P.Q., 1979
Post-doctoral (Neuroanatomy) Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 1978-1981
- Website or Lab
- Neural Systems Laboratory
- Download CV
- HS 550 Neural Systems
- HS 745 Advanced Regional Anatomy
- HS 755 Readings in Neuroscience
Organization of the prefrontal cortex; patterns of neural interactions; computational neuroscience; evolution of the neocortex; neural basis of cognitive-emotional interactions.
Hoistad, M. and Barbas. Sequence of information processing for emotions through pathways linking temporal and insular cortices with the amygdala. NeuroImage 40: 1016-1033, 2008.
Barbas, H. Executive function: the prefrontal cortex: structure and anatomy. Encyclopedia of Neuroscience, 2008, in press.
Wang, X-J., Barbas, H. and Knight, R.T. Dynamic landscape of the frontal lobe: a tribute to Patricia S. Goldman-Rakic. Cerebral Cortex 17: 114-15, 2007.
Hilgetag, C. C. and Barbas, H. Why does the outer surface of the brain have folds? Response in: Scientific American Mind, June/July 2007, p86.
Zikopoulos, B. and Barbas, H. Parallel driving and modulatory pathways link the prefrontal cortex and thalamus. PLoS ONE 2(9): e848, 2007.
Barbas, H. Specialized elements of orbitofrontal cortex in primates Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences 1121:10-32, 2007.
Fiala, J.C., Feinberg, M., Peters, A. and Barbas, H. Mitochondrial degeneration in dystrophic neurites of senile plaques may lead to extracellular deposition of fine filaments. Brain Structure and Function 212: 195-207, 2007.
Barbas, H. and Zikopoulos, B. The prefrontal cortex and flexible behavior. The Neuroscientist 13: 532-545, 2007.
Medalla, M., Lera, P., Feinberg, M. and Barbas, H. Specificity in inhibitory systems associated with prefrontal pathways to temporal cortex in primates. Cerebral Cortex 17 Supplement 1: i136-i150, 2007.
Barbas, H. Flow of information for emotions through temporal and orbitofrontal pathways. J. Anatomy 211: 237-249, 2007.
Zikopoulos, B. and Barbas, H. Circuits for multisensory integration and attentional modulation through the prefrontal cortex and the thalamic reticular nucleus in primates. Reviews in the Neurosciences 18: 1-25, 2007.
Ghashghaei, H.T., Hilgetag, C.C., and Barbas, H. Sequence of information processing for emotions based on the anatomic dialogue between prefrontal cortex and amygdala. NeuroImage 34: 905-923, 2007. (E-pub ahead of print, 2006).
Consulting and Professional Activities
- Society for Neuroscience
- International Brain Research Organization
- Montreal Physiological Society
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- National Coalition for Science and Technology
- IFCN 7 Study Section, Ad hoc reviewer, 2004.
- COG Study Section member, Ad hoc Reviewer, 2004.
- COG Study Section member, 2004-2007.
- Review Panel, Cure Autism Now, 2005-
- Editorial board: Cerebral Cortex, 2005-
- Editorial board: Brain Structure and Function, 2006-
- Section Editor: Brain Structure and Function, 2007-
- Soc. Neurosci., Informatics Committee
- Ad Hoc Reviewer: J. Comp. Neurol.; Cerebral Cortex; Eur. J. Neurosci.; J. Neurosci.; Exp. Brain Res.; Neuroscience; Brain Res.; Exp. Neurol.; Nature Neurosci.; J. Neurophysiol., Behav. Brain Res., BMC Neuroscience; NeuroImage: PNAS; J. Cogn. Neurosci. Hippocampus; Behav. Brain Res. Cambridge Univ. Press (book), and others.
- The National Science Foundation; NIH (National Institute of Aging; NICHHD; NIMH); The Leakey Foundation; The Wellcome Trust (UK); The Guggenheim Foundation. Keck Foundation, reviewer; The NRC (Canada). BU Alzheimer’s Disease Center Internal Scientific Review Committee, 2000- present.
- Chicago talk, Oct. 2008
- “How the frontal lobe controls the mind’s eye”. 26th Symposium of the Center for Visual Science (CVS): “Blurring The Borders Between Vision, Cognition And Action. Rochester, May 29, 2008.
- “Laminar-specific prefrontal pathways for excitatory and inhibitory control.” MBL, Banbury Center, N.Y., May 6, 2008.
- “Prefrontal pathways for cognition, emotion and action”. ADAA, Savannah, GA, March 6, 2008.
- SAR, Feb. 4, Prefrontal cortex: the brain’s chief executive. 2008
- What is mathematics? Research by Undergraduates in Mathematics Boston University, panel discussion, Boston University, November 10, 2007.
- “How does the prefrontal cortex inhibit irrelevant signals?” NaK, Math, BU, Oct. 10, 2007.
- “Cortical organization”. Wood’s Hole, August 20, 2007.
- “Principles and models emerging from quantitative architecture and connections”. Wood’s Hole, August 20, 2007.
(includes only those where HB is the P.I.)
- Autistm Speaks, 2008-2010
- NIH/NINDS, 2005-2010
- NIH/NIMH, 1/1/2005-12/31/2009
- NIH/NINDS, 2001-2005
- NIH/NIMH, 1999-2004
- National Institutes of Health Grant, 1987-2,001 (3 sequential grants).
- Accelerated Res. Gr., Boston Univ., 1994.
- National Science Foundation Grant, 1984-1987.
- BRSG, Boston University, 1981-1982, 1982-1983, 1987-1988, 1990.
- N.I.H. NRSA fellowship, 1981.
- N.I.H. Traineeship, Harvard Medical School, Dec. 1978-Dec. 1980.
- Faculty of Medicine Fellowship, McGill University, 1978.
- University Fellowship, McGill University, 1977-1978; Summer fellowship, 1976.
- Medical Research Council Scholarship, McGill University, 1975-1977.
- Foreign Exchange Student Scholarship, Kean College, 1968-1972.
- Fulbright Scholarship, 1968-1972.
NIMH fellowship for Dr. Nancy Rempel-Clower, 1996-1998.
Fulbright fellowship for Dr. Caterina Dermon, 1990.
- PhD thesis, honorary Dean’s list, McGill University
- BA summa cum laude, Kean College
- Psi Chi
- Liberal Arts and Sciences Honor Society, Kean College
- Fulbright Scholar
- Rodin Remediation Foundation (member)
- Award of Merit, SAR, Boston University, May 20, 2001