Desktop Support Services
Contact the Law Service Desk
Hours 9 am–5 pm, Monday–Friday
For information regarding technology at the University, please visit the BU Information Services & Technology website.
Law Academic Media Services (AMS)
Phone 617-353-3162, staffed from 9 am–8:30 pm
Hours 9 am– 5 pm, Monday–Friday (walk-in)
Classroom support from 9 am–9 pm
We provide all Law audiovisual and media services, including but not limited to lecture recording, recording distribution, lecture and event setup and support, digital signage, video conferencing, and teleconferencing. We also administer all classroom and courtroom technology and jointly administer Law’s computer labs along with Desktop Services.
For all event and recording requests, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To reserve a classroom or other space, please follow the directions listed in the Room Reservation Procedure.
Law classrooms are fully set up for complete lecture capture, including built-in HD cameras and teaching tables equipped with Smart Podium monitors and computer audio/video capture hardware. They feature built-in projectors and projection screens, lapel microphones, a standing podium microphone, and ceiling microphones for full capture of both the lecturer and the students’ questions and responses. We also have teleconferencing and videoconferencing hardware, connections for laptops, and assisted listening devices in most classrooms.
- Please send in all recording requests at least twenty-four hours in advance. We cannot guarantee that a recording will be created for requests that are not sent within that window.
- Law AMS is capable of recording almost all classrooms and most events which take place in the Law building, using either the classrooms’ built-in cameras or HD camcorders. For lecture and classroom recordings, we can record both the room itself and the program audio/video (which plays from your computer).
- For members of the BU School of Law faculty and staff:
- Please contact us directly at email@example.com with the details of the event you’d like recorded (see “Requisition/Distribution of Recordings”).
- For all others, including students:
- If you’d like a lecture or group of lectures recorded, please contact your professor or their department’s program coordinator and ask them to request a recording.
- If you’d like a student event or other event recorded which is taking place in the Law building, please contact the Student Affairs Office to discuss. Student Affairs staff will make the request if approved.
- If you’re receiving a disabilities accommodation and haven’t been directed to speak with the Student Affairs Office, please contact them as soon as possible so your needs for the semester can be met.
Requisition/Distribution of Recordings
Recordings are distributed via Echo360 online streaming. We recommend that you use the Mozilla Firefox browser with an up-to-date installation of Adobe Flash Player. We do not provide downloads unless it is specifically requested by the Disability Services Office. Recordings are distributed in one of three ways:
- A link to the recording can be sent to the requestor to be distributed at their discretion. This is the default option.
- For lectures, professors and lecturers may elect to have recordings posted to their course’s Blackboard Learn page; recordings will show up in the course’s left navigation menu under “Echo Center.”
- A link to the recording can be sent to a list of people specified at the time of request.
Unless a recording has been made available to the public by its requestor, you should log into the Echo360 streaming service using your BU Kerberos username and password. (This is the same username and password you use for your email.)
For all recording requests, please include as much of the following information as possible:
- Date, time, room number
- For lectures: Course number (JD701, TX901, etc.); course name optional
- How/To whom you would like the recording distributed
- Whether you’ll need any additional media support
Please make sure to reserve a room and send in support requests at least two days in advance.
We provide media services for all LAW events occurring in the Sumner M. Redstone Building and in the law tower during regular business and class hours. Please feel free to contact us if:
- You’ll be using the classroom computer or projection equipment, and you’d like assistance or training in setting up the room and/or your equipment.
- Your reserved space lacks a projector, computer, or speakers, and you’d like to reserve equipment.
- You’d like to know what equipment is available in your reserved space and how to utilize it.
For non-Law-sponsored events and for weekend events, Law AMS may provide media services for a fee. If your event falls into one of those categories, please contact us as soon as possible for further information.
To schedule a training session on using the classroom technology, please send us an email with an approximate number of people and your availability, and we will schedule a session. Training sessions generally take between twenty and thirty minutes.
Please feel free to contact us by phone 617-353-3162 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org for any other concerns that we have not listed here, including notifications of dead batteries or damaged/broken equipment, and questions or concerns about the law building’s digital signage.