BU School of Music offers the best of both worlds: an immersive music program and the diverse opportunities of a major research university. So dive deep, and be transformed not only as an artist but as a leader, entrepreneur, advocate, and thinker.
As a member of the Voice Department you will be immersed in a program of study commensurate with the demands of professional singing. At each level of study, you will pursue the highest standards of training in developing technique, repertoire, languages, and musicianship. We believe the artist synthesizes all aspects of training with heart, mind, and body.
- Bachelor of Music
in Performance, Music Education, Composition & Theory, or Musicology
- Master of Music
- Performance Diploma
- Opera Institute
- Doctor of Musical Arts
- Artist Diploma
By the numbers
- Weekly private voice lessons for all levels with collaborative pianists assigned to each student for lesson and studio preparation and weekly studio classes.
- Courses in phonetics and diction
- 3 song literature courses for undergraduates
- Special topics in song literature for graduate students.
- Private coachings
- Graduate course in vocal pedagogy
- Courses in Performance Skills and Performance Techniques
Through the BU Opera Institute students participate in immersive and integrated stagecraft and musical preparation at all levels of study.
- Opera Project (Freshmen and Sophomores)
- Opera Workshop (Juniors and Seniors)
- Opera Theatre (Graduate Students)
- More Information
- 2 fully produced, mainstage operas
- 2 Fringe Festival chamber operas
- Historical Performance concerts and productions
- Scenes programs
- Le nozze di Figaro by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
- Emmeline by Tobias Picker
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream by Benjamin Britten
- Così fan tutte by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
- Cendrillon by Jules Massenet
- The Werther Project by Jules Massenet
- Hydrogen Jukebox by Philip Glass
- The Seven Deadly Sins by Kurt Weill
- Vinkensport, or The Finch Opera by David T. Little
- Francisco Araiza
- OperaWorks with Ann Baltz
- Deborah Birnbaum
- Stephanie Blythe
- Sandra Piques Eddy
- Margo Garrett
- Ben Heppner
- David Kneuss
- Roger Vignoles
- Deborah Voigt
Past guest artists: Renee Fleming, Denyce Graves, Federica von Stade, Richard Stilwell, Jerry Hadley, Grace Bumbry, Carlo Bergonzi, and Regine Crespin.
- Five-year program in Bachelor of Music, Performance and Master of Music, Education. Official admission to the program occurs during the sophomore year, but students can begin adding music education courses gradually to the performance degree program starting in the freshman year.
- An exciting and unique opportunity to study for a semester with the Royal College of Music in London, England through BU Study Abroad.
- The Arts Administration Certificate program, through the BU Metropolitan College, offers courses for graduate students interested in futures in arts leadership and administration.
- Cross-curricular opportunities in the College of Fine Arts, including the Arts Leadership Minor, and access to the greater University’s liberal arts courses.
Venues, Operas, and Orchestras
Our alumni are professionally engaged with major opera companies and symphony orchestras in the U.S and abroad, including: The Metropolitan Opera, La Scala, Royal Opera House – Covent Garden, English National Opera, Berlin Staatsoper, Deutches Oper Berlin, Lyric Opera of Chicago, San Francisco Opera, Washington National Opera, Los Angeles Opera, Opera Nice, Canadian Opera, Houston Grand Opera, Dallas Opera, New York City Opera, Santa Fe Opera, Glimmerglass Festival, Opera Theatre of St. Louis, Boston Lyric Opera, Minnesota Opera, Hawaii Opera, Caramoor Festival, Spoleto Festival – Italy, London Philharmonic, Boston Baroque, Boston Symphony Orchestra, Boston Pops, Los Angeles Philharmonic.