August 8th, 2012

A Home Run for the Class of 2012

The generosity of BU’s graduating students puts a senior on the mound at Fenway—and sets a new giving record

On May 15, BU senior Dylan Moir (COM’12) lived a high-school pitcher’s dream: putting one across the plate at fabled Fenway Park. Sporting his old mitt and watched by his parents, his girlfriend, and 37,300 baseball fans, Moir delivered the ceremonial first pitch at the afternoon’s Red Sox home game, finding the center of the strike zone. [Photo by Billie Weiss/Boston Red Sox.]

“I actually wasn’t nervous at all,” he said afterward. “Just the fact that I was out here on the field—I’m still in pure ecstasy.”

A Home Run for the Class of 2012Moir made his trip to the mound thanks to a prize offered to graduating students for reaching their target of 2,012 donors to the Class of 2012 Class Gift campaign. His name was drawn at random at the Senior Breakfast by Dean of Students Kenneth Elmore (SED’87) from among all members of the Class of 2012 who contributed to the Class Gift.

“It’s been amazing to see the generosity and support that’s been demonstrated by my peers,” comments Fernando Limbo III (SAR’12), the 2012 Class Gift chair. “The fact that we are ahead of where we were last year shows the dedication that our class has toward the continued success of Boston University programs for future Terriers.”

Sharrod McClusky (CAS’12) chose to direct his $20.12 donation to scholarships, so that a future student could have the kind of opportunity he had.

“I wouldn’t have been able to attend BU if it hadn’t been for others’ generosity,” he says. “So I gave because BU has given so much to me.