Minors in Mathematics & Statistics
Classification of Elementary Courses
For the purpose of stating prerequisites, elementary courses are grouped under the titles listed below. Any one course in a group satisfies a requirement, and only one course in each group may be taken for credit.
- Elementary Statistics I: CAS MA 113, 115, 213
- Elementary Statistics II: CAS MA 116, 214, 614
- Calculus I: CAS MA 121, 123
- Calculus II: CAS MA 122, 124, 127, 129 (MA 129 may be taken for credit by students with AP credit for CAS MA 124)
- Multivariate Calculus: CAS MA 225, 230
- Differential Equations: CAS MA 226, 231
- Linear Algebra: CAS MA 142, 242, 442
- Discrete Math: CAS MA 193, 293
- Modern Algebra: CAS MA 294 (may not be taken after MA 541 or 542)
Students must earn a minimum grade of C in courses taken toward a minor. All student minors develop their programs in consultation with an advisor.
The prerequisite for the minor is CAS MA 123 and 124, or 127 or 129 or equivalent. The principal courses required are CAS MA 225 or 230, 226 or 231, 242 or 442, and at least two CAS MA courses numbered 400 or above. In addition, it is strongly recommended that students take CAS CS 111 Introduction to Computer Science.
The prerequisite for the minor is CAS MA 123 and 124, or 127 or 129 or equivalent. Principal courses required are CAS MA 213, 214, 225 or 230, and two chosen from 581, 582, and 583. In addition, it is strongly recommended that students take CAS CS 111 Introduction to Computer Science.
Principal courses required are CAS MA 115 or 213, 116 or 214, 416, 684; one course at the CAS MA 400–600 or CS 400–600 level, and one additional MA or CS course. The two latter courses are to be selected with the written approval of a statistics advisor.