BA in Teaching of Chemistry
The major in Teaching of Chemistry is a joint program with the School of Education (SED) designed to prepare students to become chemistry teachers in public and private high schools. The curriculum encompasses all the basic fields of chemistry, and also provides the necessary coursework in secondary education as well as the student teaching experience for certification in teaching. Students pursuing this major may need to complete as many as 144 total credits for graduation with the BA.
All students should refer to the Departmental Regulations section of the Chemistry Department page for important stipulations. NOTE: Students may not switch tracks in general or organic chemistry after the initial course in the sequence.
Unless noted otherwise, all required courses are 4 credit hours. All required chemistry courses must be completed with a grade of C or higher.
Required Chemistry Courses
Majors complete coursework in general chemistry with quantitative analysis, organic chemistry, inorganic chemistry, physical chemistry, biochemistry, and two courses in advanced laboratory, as follows:
- CAS CH 111, 112 (or CH 109, 110, or CH 101, 102, 201). CH 201 is a 2-credit course.
- CAS CH 211, 212 (or CH 203, 214, or CH 203, 204, 220). CH 220 is a 2-credit course.
- CAS CH 232
- CAS CH 351
- CAS CH 352
- CAS CH 421
- Two of the following courses: CAS CH 301, 303, 354
Required Related CAS Courses in Calculus and Physics
- CAS MA 123, 124 (127 or 129 fulfills 123, 124 requirement)
- CAS MA 225 (or 230)
- CAS PY 211, 212 (or 241, 242, or 251, 252)
Required School of Education (SED) Courses
- SED ED 100/101 Introduction to Education (taken concurrently, 6 cr total)
- SED SE 251 Special Education and Adolescents (2 cr)
- SED DS 502 Adolescent Development (2 cr)
- SED ED 410, 412 Social Context of Education, Civic Context of Education (2 cr each)
- SED SC 509 or 510 Student-Teaching Practicum: Science, 5–8 or Student-Teaching Practicum: Science, 8–12 (8 cr each)
- SED SC 570, 572, 576 Science Teaching Methods I & II (4 cr each), Science Teaching Pre-Practicum (taken concurrently with SC 570, 2 cr)
- SED CT 575 General Methods of Instruction, 5–12
- SED TL 525 Teaching English Language Learners in Middle/High Schools