If you are off campus, use the VPN
If you are in an off-campus location, you will first need to connect to the VPN. Login at http://vpn.bu.edu. Once you are connected to the VPN, follow the instructions below to begin printing. If you are printing from an on-campus location, or if you are already connected to the VPN, you are ready to proceed.
macOS (10.11 or later)
Users running Mac OS X 10.10 (Yosemite) or below are advised to update to the latest version of macOS or use the MyPrint Web Upload system to print documents. These operating systems are no longer supported by MyPrint.
Installing MyPrint Printers
Download the Installer Package Available Here.
- Double click the BU-MyPrint.pkg icon.
- Follow the installer’s steps to install MyPrint on your computer.
- Once complete, you should see the printers installed in System Preferences >> Printers and Scanners.
Once you have installed the printers, you will need to authenticate to the print server the first time you print. Please see Authenticate to MyPrint Printers below.
Authenticate to MyPrint Printers
- Open the file you wish to print.
- Go to the “File” menu and select “Print.”
- From the printer dropdown, select the printer that you want to use.
- Click the Print button.
- When the authentication dialog appears, enter the following information:
- Type your BU login name in login format. For example, if your BU email is firstname.lastname@example.org, enter rhett.
- Type your BU Kerberos password.
- Check the remember this password in my keychain box.
- Click OK.
Your job is now queued for printing. However, it will not be printed (nor will your quota be charged) until you release your print job.
Troubleshooting Authentication Issues
If you are not asked to authenticate:
- From the dock, open the print queue.
- Locate your print job and click it once to select it.
- Open the “Jobs” menu at the top of the screen and click “Resume Job.”
If authentication fails, please try the following steps.
- Confirm that there are no saved credentials in Keychain:
- Open Finder
- Open the “Go” menu from the top of your screen and select “Utilities.”
- Double click “Keychain Access.”
- Search for “myprint” and remove all displayed entries, then try and print again.
- Try entering your username in the format, “AD\login.” For example, if your BU email is email@example.com, enter “AD\rhett.”
Manual Printer Installation
The following steps should only be performed if the above installation instructions are unsuccessful.
- Go to the Apple menu and open System Preferences.
- Click on Printers & Scanners.
- Select any existing MyPrint printers from the list and click the – button at the bottom of the list to remove them.
- Click the + button at the bottom of the list to add a new printer.
- On the toolbar at the top of the window, look for the Advanced (gear) tab.
- If you do not see the Advanced tab, right-click anywhere on the toolbar of that window, then choose Customize Toolbar from the menu that appears. Drag the Advanced (gear) icon to the toolbar and click Done.
- Click the Advanced (gear) tab.
- From the Type menu, choose Windows printer via spoolss. It may take a minute before you are able to choose anything from the Type menu.
- Enter the Queue (or URL) as smb://terrierprint.ad.bu.edu/printingtype – substituting the type of printing you want (myprintbw or myprintcolor). For example, smb://terrierprint.ad.bu.edu/myprintbw).
- In the Name field, type a nickname that you would like to use for this printer (e.g. MyPrintBW).
- From the Use: dropdown menu, select Generic PostScript Printer.
- Click Add.
- Repeat this process once more for MyPrintColor. Once you have added all of the printers you want to add, you can close the Printers & Scanners window.
Windows (7 or later)
- Go to the Start Menu and select Run. If you do not see the Run Program (e.g. Windows 7 users) go to Search Programs and Files and type Run. You will then be able to see it and press Enter to launch it.
- Within the Run window, type \\terrierprint.bu.edu and click OK.
- When the authentication dialog appears, enter the following information OR
if an authentication request does not appear but you can see printers listed, you are already authenticated and can proceed to Step 4.
- Type your BU login name in AD\login format, so if your BU email is firstname.lastname@example.org, enter AD\rhett.
- Type your Kerberos password.
- Check the Save Password box (As mentioned above, Windows Home does not have an option to save the password).
- Click OK.
- A window will appear that displays available printers.
- Double click the printer you want installed on your system. (You will need to install them one at a time.)
- The driver will automatically be downloaded and installed on your system. If prompted, indicate that you Trust the source and Install the printer.
- Once you’ve installed all the printers you want to install, you can close the terrierprint.bu.edu window.
- Open the application and file you witch to print. Select the “Print” option is normally in the “Share & Export” option or in the 3 dot menu below are 3 examples
- Then tap on “Select Printer”
- Select either “myprintbw” or “myprintcolor” depending on the job you want to send. If you do not see the printers ensure you are connected to the BU (802.1x) or eduroam Wifi networks. This will not work off campus unless you connect to the BU VPN.
- Then enter your BU Username in the “user name” box, then your BU Kerberos Password. Then click “OK”, this should be remembered for next use.
- Select the print options you desire note printing in color on the myprintbw print queue will not result in color printing. Once you have confirmed your print settings tap “Print”. The final step is to release your print job at MyPrint device.
- Open the “Google Play Store” and install “Mobility Print” from “PaperCut Software” also see link below. Click “Open”https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.papercut.projectbanksia&hl=en
- Click “Tap here and check the Mobility Print Service is on” then confirm it is on, if not flip the button to the right
- Open the application and document you want to print it is usually found in the 3 dot menu then under print below are 2 examples
- Click on the “Select a printer” pull down then select the given MyPrint printer you wish to print to
- Click on the down arrow to confirm your print settings then click on the printer icon at the bottom. Note printing Color to the “MyPrintBW” print queue will not result in color printing.
- On first use you will be prompted that Mobility Print will send your print job to a BU server for processing, click “OK”
- On first use you will also get a notification that your print job needs authentication click on the notification
- This will open the “Mobility Print” application enter your BU Username and Kerberos Password then click “Print”. Note with the “Remember Me” box checked this will remember your username and password for the next print job.
- You will get a notice that your print job has been submitted now the final step is to release your print job at MyPrint device.
Wherever possible, we recommend using the MyPrint Web Upload system to print documents from Linux.