Academic Resources

Outside of the Sociology Department, BU has general advisors for undeclared students or anyone that needs guidance with general academic questions. Advising can help you identify what you want to study or pursue outside of the classroom. Here you can find more information on advising, declaring your major, the BU Hub and planning future courses. 

Create a HandShake profile to make appointments with people from the many helpful resources at BU, including the Center for Career Development, the Financial Assistance Office, Academic Advising, Educational Resource Center, and more. For more information on each of these departments, visit our General Resources page

To get started:

  1. CAS General Advising is helpful for students who need general guidance within the College of Arts and Sciences.
  • To meet with an advisor, create an account on Handshake, and sign in as a BU student. Handshake will automatically connect you with access to meet with CAS Advising, the Center for Career Development, and more.
    • Once logged into Handshake, select Career Center and then appointments to meet with an advisor.
  • For more information on different types of advising, check out this page with Advising Information.

Sociology Resources

Each student in the Sociology Department is assigned a faculty advisor. You can find yours by clicking on the ‘Degree Advice’ tab on the Student Link. These faculty advisors are here to help you. Reach out to them with questions related to major requirements, course offerings, research opportunities, and professional development as a sociology major.

If you do not see a faculty advisor listed on your account, please contact our Undergraduate Academic Advisor Marcus Shaw with your BUID number to request an advisor assignment.