Law students with temporary or permanent disabilities seeking accommodations should contact Boston University’s Office of Disability Services at 19 Deerfield Street, Boston, MA 02215 (telephone 617-353-3658 Voice/TTY; email: Disability Services arranges for academic accommodations for all BU students with disabilities. Such accommodations may include the use of a note-taker and course materials in alternative formats, such as Braille or enlarged print. Other accommodations that might be approved include a reduced course load and exam-related accommodations, such as extended time or a distraction-free environment.

Academic Accommodations

Students seeking academic accommodations on the basis of a disability (such as extended time on examinations or the use of a note-taker) initially must work directly with Disability Services. Disability Services will review a student’s medical documentation and recommend academic accommodations to the School of Law on the basis of that documentation. The recommendations of Disability Services must be reviewed and approved by the Dean of the School of Law, or her designee. Medical documentation must comply with University guidelines, which may be obtained from Disability Services. Please note that Disability Services may require two weeks or more to complete its review, and that the School of Law cannot provide academic accommodations on the basis of a disability unless Disability Services has recommended accommodations. Thus, students should start this process as soon as possible, and even before starting classes at the Law School. Students who seek exam accommodations in the last few weeks of a term may not be able to be accommodated if Disability Services is not given adequate time to conduct the required review.

Students who are deaf or hard of hearing may arrange for sign language interpreters, computer aided real-time transcription (“CART”) or assistive listening devices through Services for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing (“SDHH”) in the Office of Disability Services. Please call SDHH at 617-353-7790 (TTY) or 617-353-6882 (Voice) to make arrangements for interpreter or CART services. Students with learning disabilities also may receive services beyond academic in-class and exam accommodations through Learning Disability Services (LDS) at Disability Services.

Housing Accommodations

Requests for housing accommodations for students with disabilities should be directed to the Office of Rental Property Management at 19 Deerfield Street, 617-353-4101. Be sure to indicate your interest in accessible apartments. An extremely limited number of accessible dormitory-style rooms are available through the Assignments Area in the University’s Office of Housing, 985 Commonwealth Avenue, 617-353-3511. Students must submit their housing application, Residence License Agreement, and medical documentation directly to the Office of Housing. The Office of Disability Services will review the medical documentation and work with the Office of Housing to arrange housing accommodations. Please note that due to the extremely limited availability of graduate housing, requests for housing accommodations must be submitted as soon as possible.