The following message was sent to all incoming first year students on Tuesday, July 25 from Dean Campbell-Foster:
Welcome to the Boston University Community!
Your new beginning is cause for you, your family, friends, and all of us in this University community to celebrate. Your journey through this vibrant, academic community will begin with the annual traditions of Matriculation. Matriculation is the formal process of entering Boston University as a candidate for a degree—we mark the occasion of your entry into BU through a formal ceremony and a series of events on Sunday, September 3, 2023.
You will receive a formal invitation from Boston University’s interim President Kenneth Freeman, but I wanted to give you a quick look at the Matriculation Sunday agenda—we have a full day for you that starts early:
- New Terrier Breakfast – 10 am to noon
- Dining Services has developed a special Matriculation morning breakfast for you. Word is that BU Culinary Director Chef Bee has maple and sugared bacon donut bites, sweet potato muffins, chai-spiced apple oat pancakes, hash browns & avocado bowls, vegan sausage mushroom breakfast bowls, and Aleppo chili avocado toast with oven roasted tomatoes and a tropical green smoothie on the menu.
- University Service of Worship at 11 am
- You are invited to a special interdenominational worship service featuring a sermon by Dean of Marsh Chapel Robert Allen Hill and music by the Marsh Chapel Choir. Family and guests are welcome. All students who attend the service are welcome to join the procession up to University Matriculation from Marsh Plaza.
- Matriculation Walk begins at 12:30 pm
- Another key University tradition is the Matriculation Walk, where the entire class of incoming students walks to the Ceremony of Matriculation together. You will receive a letter when you arrive on campus with more information so that you are able to fully participate.
- The Ceremony of Matriculation at 2 pm
- During this important tradition, you will be formally enrolled as a member of the Boston University community. This mandatory ceremony is an annual gathering of faculty, staff, incoming first-years, and family to celebrate the wonderful legacy of our institution and our commitment to your continuous learning. Be sure to wear your favorite BU t-shirt during the ceremony.
- Comm Ave Fest at 3 pm
- Following the Ceremony, join us for Comm Ave Fest – a time to bring together our first-year students, welcome transfer students and reunite our BU student community! You will be able to explore your new neighborhood along Comm Ave, from a Terrier Tailgate on Nickerson Field to food trucks and art projects, music performances, cultural and religious activities, give-a-ways and more! Each with their own identity, the Fest stretches from Nickerson Field to the Booth Theatre, GSU and Marsh Plaza, then over to the BU Beach and the Comm Lawn – we can’t wait to celebrate you!
Family members are welcome to watch your Matriculation Ceremony as your guest, in-person, or via a live stream. As you can see, Matriculation Sunday is a full day of activities. These and other key University traditions and additional Matriculation Sunday activities can be found on the Class of 2027 Matriculation website.
Until then, take care, and Go Terriers!
Dean of Students