The COM Writing Center will be FULLY ONLINE for the Fall 2020 semester.
PHILOSOPHY & MISSION
Anyone can become a better writer, but it generally takes practice, hard work, and constructive feedback. Our mission is to assist student writers wherever they are in the writing process.
HOW CAN WE HELP?
Feel free to make an appointment if you’re brainstorming ideas, dealing with sudden writer’s block, or revising your final draft. We’ve seen it all.
Our tutors are all graduate students in COM fields, and they can guide you through any COM-related writing. Need help structuring a news story? Shaping a screenplay? Developing a PR campaign? Crafting the perfect advertisement? While we’d be happy to help with other written assignments, COM writing genres are clearly our specialty.
We’re also here for you if you’re concerned about your academic English skills. Our tutors are trained to help students from a variety of language backgrounds address common writing issues. We may also suggest additional resources that might be of use to you.
We’re offering two types of online appointments this fall:
A synchronous appointment is a tutoring session in real time.
- You and a tutor will use video, online texting, and a shared screen to discuss your writing at your scheduled appointment time.
- You can ask the tutor questions in the moment and receive feedback directly.
- All appointments are listed in Eastern Daylight Time. Please arrive on time for your appointment. If you must cancel your session, please do so at least 3 hours prior to the start time.
- These appointments last 30 minutes, but you can schedule two back-to-back. You can make a total of two appointments a day, with a limit of four per week.
An asynchronous appointment is not a live online tutoring session.
- We’re using the term “appointment” loosely here.
- You won’t be meeting to discuss your work with a tutor online. Instead, you’ll upload your paper and receive written feedback from a tutor.
- This kind of appointment is convenient if you’re living outside BU’s time zone, or you’re otherwise unavailable when we offer synchronous appointments.
- You can schedule one asynchronous appointment a day, with a limit of two per week.
BU STUDENTS CAN MAKE ONLINE APPOINTMENTS HERE: bu.mywconline.com
If you have any questions, please feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for your patience and flexibility at this time. Stay safe and be well!