“Las Casas in Hemispheric American Perspective:
II International Conference on Bartolomé de Las Casas.”
July 15-16 (Monday-Tuesday), 2019
Providence College, Providence, Rhode Island, U.S.A.
The first International Conference, “Bartolomé de Las Casas, O.P.: History, Philosophy, and Theology in the Age of European Expansion,” held in 2016, was a landmark event for Lascasian scholarship. In response to this success, Providence College is pleased to invite interested scholars to our next gathering in 2019: “Las Casas in Hemispheric American Perspective: II International Conference on Bartolomé de Las Casas.”
Conference organizers welcome academic presentations related to the life, labor, and legacy of Bartolomé de Las Casas in the larger context of Hemispheric American studies. We especially encourage proposals that employ Las Casas as a prism for the interpretation of the interaction, expansion, culture, and ancestry of Indigenous people, Africans, Europeans and Asians in the American Hemisphere. The organizers programmed this Lascasian conference to coincide with the III International Conference on the History of the Order of Preachers in America, to be held July 17-19th (Wednesday-Friday) at Providence College (Dominican conference link). Participants can benefit from and contribute to the rich combination of unique research interests afforded by these two international gatherings.
For the Las Casas’s Conference, organizers welcome scholarly reflection on the themes of contact, conquest, colonization, and conversion as found in theology, philosophy, law, literature, poetry, theater among other disciplinary approaches. Scholarly panels as well as special plenary sessions by leading scholars are planned.
Call for Papers:
Papers in Spanish, Portuguese, and English are welcomed. Interested scholars, whether presenting an individual paper or collaborating in a panel of three papers, must submit an abstract for each proposal (250-500 word, Microsoft Word, single-spaced, 12pt New Times), and the following:
- Author(s): (maximum of three) including name(s), professional title(s), and affiliation;
- Title of presentation, and relationship to Conference theme(s);
- E-mail and mailing addresses;
- Short biographical note (maximum 200 words).
- Please email paper proposals before September 1st, 2018. Send your proposal(s) to both Rady Roldán-Figueroa, Th.D. and David Orique, O.P., Ph.D. at Lascasasconference2019@gmail.com More information and details to follow.
- Approved proposals will be announced by email on December 15, 2018.
- Conference oral presentations are limited to 20 minutes (approximate 8 double-spaced pages).
David T. Orique, O.P., Ph.D.
Associate Professor of History
Director of Latin American and Latino Studies
Rady Roldán-Figueroa, Th.D.
Associate Professor of the History of Christianity