School of Visual Arts Graduate Admissions
Graduate Information Sessions
Join faculty and current students to learn more about the graduate offerings at BU School of Visual Arts. We also encourage prospective graduate students to connect with us at a Graduate National Portfolio Day to receive preliminary feedback on your portfolio.
Thursday, October 22, at 5:15 pm.
Tuesday, October 27, at 5:15 pm.
Please also join us for the TNLS Lecture with Kianja Strobert at 7:30pm later that evening.
MFA & Certificate Graphic Design
Friday, November 13, at 9:00 am.
MA Art Education
Monday, November 16, at 3:30 pm.
Graduate Application Instructions
The School of Visual Arts offers MFA programs in Graphic Design, Painting, and Sculpture. The MA is offered in Art Education and Art Education with Initial License. A Certificate in Graphic Design is offered as a one-year program.
All graduate Visual Arts degree and certificate programs require portfolios. Portfolios must be submitted within the application.
We cannot accept paper recommendations. All recommendations must be submitted through the online application. Transcripts are required from all colleges attended and uploaded to your application. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable for your application. Please do not send paper transcripts to the BU College of Fine Arts; upload them to the application.
Your application must be completed online and submitted electronically once you have entered the required information. You may access your application and change your answers as many times as you like before submitting it by using your Web Login from any computer. Please note that in order to complete the online application, you must pay the application fee online using a credit card. The GRE is not required.
Steps to Apply
- Complete your application: Enter all of your personal and academic information.
- Submit application: Please pay the application fee using your credit card. Only when the fee is paid will your completed application be sent to Boston University.
- Upload forms: Upload transcripts from all college attended, and other supplemental forms (résumé, essay, etc.) that are required for your application. (scroll to see Requirements for All Applicants)
- Please do not send transcripts to us. Transcripts should be uploaded to your application.
- The applications deadline has been extended to Tuesday, January 19th
- The application, supporting materials, and portfolio are all required by this date. TOEFL or IELTS scores for international students must be received by this date.
- Final admission decisions are released early to mid-March.
Graduate International Students
Graduate international applicants must prove English proficiency in one of two ways.
1.) By completing a bachelor’s degree from an institution in which English was the language of instruction before the time of enrollment at BU.
2.) A TOEFL score of 84 or higher or an IELTS score of 7.0 or higher.
A composite TOEFL score of at least 90-100 and scores of 20 or higher on each subsection is preferred.
For more information, please go here. Your questions are welcome and we are happy to assist you. Please send us an email to: email@example.com.
Requirements for All Applicants
- Completed application online for graduate admission to the College of Fine Arts.
- Portfolio digitally submitted—specific portfolio requirements for each major can be found here.
- Non-refundable application fee of $95 submitted using online application.
- Two letters of recommendation from professionals/educators. These must be submitted online through your application.
- Transcripts from all colleges/universities attended uploaded to your application.
- A one-page personal statement indicating the applicant’s purpose in pursuing graduate work, career objectives, and particular interest in BU.
- Artistic résumé.
Ask Us Anything
We know that you have all sorts of questions about BU, the School of Visual Arts, and the admissions process. This is the place to ask! Every week this Fall, Assistant Director for Admissions, Jessica Caccamo, will be available to talk about what’s on your mind, and answer as many questions as she can. See you there!