School of Visual Arts Graduate Admissions
Graduate Information Sessions
Join faculty and current students to learn more about the graduate offerings at BU School of Visual Arts. We also encourage prospective graduate students to connect with us at a Graduate National Portfolio Day to receive preliminary feedback on your portfolio.
Wednesday, October 20 at 7:30 PM
MFA Print Media and Photography
Tuesday, October 26 at 10:00 AM
Tuesday, November 2 at 7:00 PM
MA Art Education
Thursday, November 4 at 5:00 PM
Graphic Design Current Student Panel
Monday, October 18 at 9:00 AM
Graphic Design Alumni Panel
Tuesday, October 19 at 6:00 PM
Design Inquiry Lecture
Wednesday, October 20 & Thursday, October 21 at 6:00 PM
Graduate Application Instructions
The School of Visual Arts offers MFA programs in Graphic Design, Painting, and Sculpture. The MA is offered in Art Education and Art Education with Initial License. A Certificate in Graphic Design is offered as a one-year program.
All graduate Visual Arts degree and certificate programs require portfolios. Portfolios must be submitted within the application.
We cannot accept paper recommendations. All recommendations must be submitted through the online application. Transcripts are required from all colleges attended and uploaded to your application. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable for your application. Please do not send paper transcripts to the BU College of Fine Arts; upload them to the application.
Your application must be completed online and submitted electronically once you have entered the required information. You may access your application and change your answers as many times as you like before submitting it by using your Web Login from any computer. Please note that in order to complete the online application, you must pay the application fee online using a credit card. The GRE is not required.
Steps to Apply
- Complete your application: Enter all of your personal and academic information.
- Submit application: Please pay the application fee using your credit card. Only when the fee is paid will your completed application be sent to Boston University.
- Upload forms: Upload transcripts from all college attended, and other supplemental forms (résumé, essay, etc.) that are required for your application. (scroll down to see Requirements for All Applicants).
- Please do not send transcripts to us. Transcripts should be uploaded to your application.
- The application deadline for all MFA, On-Campus MA, and Certificate applications is January 16.
- The application, supporting materials, and portfolio are all required by this date. TOEFL or IELTS scores for international students must be received by this date.
- Final admission decisions are released early to mid-March.
Graduate International Students
Graduate international applicants must prove English proficiency in one of two ways.
- By completing a bachelor’s degree and submitting an official transcript from an institution in which English was the language of instruction before the time of enrollment at BU.
- Submitting one of the English proficiency tests listed here with a score that meets or exceeds the minimum requirement.
Requirements for All Applicants
- Completed application online for graduate admission to the College of Fine Arts.
- Portfolio digitally submitted—specific portfolio requirements for each major can be found here.
- Non-refundable application fee of $95 submitted using online application.
- Two letters of recommendation from professionals/educators. These must be submitted online through your application.
- Transcripts from all colleges/universities attended uploaded to your application.
- A one-page personal statement indicating the applicant’s purpose in pursuing graduate work, career objectives, and particular interest in BU.
- Artistic résumé.