Comments & Discussion

Boston University moderates comments to facilitate an informed, substantive, civil conversation. Abusive, profane, self-promotional, misleading, incoherent or off-topic comments will be rejected. Moderators are staffed during regular business hours (EST) and can only accept comments written in English. Statistics or facts must include a citation or a link to the citation.

There are 6 comments on Four Things to Know about Fungi “Climate Warriors”

  1. I am pleased to know that I have so many types of fungi growing in my yard. There have to be at least 75 or more plus this morning I see numerous more popping up. They started appearing after all the rain we had. Thank you for all the information about them. Now I have no reason to be alarmed and can be pleased that they are accomplishing good! Julia

  2. Fungus take in oxygen, combine it with their food sources carbon and release co2. Fungus being the most abundant living organism on earth undoubtedly contribute more to global warming than any other source of carbon emissions.

    1. ” than any other source of carbon emissions”… you just compared the output of mushrooms to the output of jets, burning coal, automobiles, cement manufacturing, agriculture etc… Where you is your logic?

    2. Maybe you mean plants are the most abundant group, Levi? The greater the biomass the greater the amount of carbon stored away from the atmosphere. Check out the link- plants contain 450 Gt C, funghi 12 Gt.

      But aside from direct biomass, living things make carbon substances which have varying residence times in the soil, etc. A spoon of sugar will be broken down fast, but tannins, lignins, chitin etc will take far longer. I’d trust the experts in the field on this Levi, unless you have months and years free to study the subject in depth.

      https://www.pnas.org/content/115/25/6506

    3. Fungi sequester about 80% of the carbon they intake, they continually armor their hyphae with mannins and chitin. The oldest parts of a hyphae can reach carbon to nitrogen ratios of 1000:1, storing carbon for potentially 100’s of years. A huge amount of global warming is because we’ve disturbed so much soil through agriculture and clearcutting the forests. Disturbed soil lacks fungi and are instead bacterially dominant. Bacteria have a C:N ratio of 5:1 and only sequester 20% of their carbon intake, blowing off the other 80%. This is why so many carbon respiration studies find that even many forests are carbon polluters, not sinks.

      Fungi are able to decompose complex carbons resulting in super stable organic matter like humic and fulvic acids. Additionally, land management has resulted in so many soils having compaction layers where they system goes anaerobic. Anearobic bacteria create many harmful greenhouse gases like methane (20x’s CO2 equiv) and nitrous oxide (300x’s CO2 equiv) in those compaction layers. It’s possible to use the land without killing all the fungi, but we need to learn quickly!

Post a comment.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *