MPH Functional Certificate: Monitoring and Evaluation
This certificate provides students with practical skills to work in health organizations designing and implementing monitoring and evaluation activities in developing and developed countries. Students will design and implement monitoring and evaluation plans, apply rigorous analytic methods to estimate the impacts and costs of public health programs and policies, and critically assess and interpret existing evidence to inform public health decision-making.
Upon graduation, students will be able to:
- Design monitoring and evaluation plans for public health programs.
- Articulate the purpose of formative, process, and outcome evaluations.
- Differentiate between qualitative and quantitative evaluation methods in relation to their strengths, limitations, appropriate uses, with an emphasis on reliability and validity.
- Apply analytic methods to evaluate the impacts and costs of public health programs and policies.
- Support the use of data from monitoring and evaluation projects in informing evidence based decision-making for the development of new programs and continuous quality improvement efforts.
- GH 745 Monitoring and Evaluation of Global Health Programs (4 cr)
- Choose 4 credits from the following:
- GH 811 Applied Research Methods in Global Health (4 cr)
- GH 815 Methods for Impact Evaluation (4 cr)
- GH 775 Field Practicum in Tanzania (4 cr)
- Choose one of the following:
- GH 762 Essentials of Economics and Finance for Global Health (4 cr)
- PM 807 Cost Effectiveness Analysis (2 cr)
- Choose 4–6 credits from the following:
- BS 730 Introduction to R: Software for Statistical Computing (4 cr)
- GH 743 Implementing Health Programs in Developing Countries (4 cr)
- GH 744 Program Design (4 cr)
- GH 756 Analyzing Methods for Pharmaceuticals Systems Assessment (4 cr)
- GH 804 mHealth (2 cr)
- GH 854 Data to Dashboards (2 cr)
Integrative Learning Experience
The BU MPH Integrative Learning Experience serves to demonstrate the synthesis of foundational and certificate competencies. For students completing the Monitoring & Evaluation Certificate, there are two options for the ILE: a written M&E Plan; or a written Impact Evaluation Analysis.