Boston Consortium

All School of Public Health degree candidates are eligible to cross-register for one course during the fall or spring semesters at Tufts University, Boston College, Brandeis University, or Hebrew College. All students who wish to cross-register for a course within the consortium must be registered for at least one course at Boston University at the same time. Boston University will charge part-time students per credit. Full-time students will not pay any additional costs if, with the cross-registration, they register for 12–18 credits total.


  • Outgoing SPH students first obtain a Cross-Registration Petition from the School of Public Health Office of the Registrar, Talbot Building (Second Floor) and obtain the signature of the SPH registrar on the completed form.
  • SPH students must also obtain a copy of the transfer credit form and simultaneously apply for transfer credit for the potential cross-registered course to be approved for their SPH degree program requirements. Many institutions have different means of computing course credits, and part of the approval process calculates the BU credit that will be granted upon successful (B or better) completion of the course.
  • The SPH student follows the instructions of the host institution (Boston College, Brandeis University, Tufts University, or Hebrew College) regarding registration. Ultimately, the host institution course instructor must sign the petition, and the SPH student must submit the form to the host institution’s registrar’s office for processing.
  • Once registered at a host school, the SPH student brings a fully signed copy of the Cross-Registration Petition back to the SPH Office of the Registrar, along with a paper SPH add/drop form for processing at SPH.
  • Students may not add or drop cross-registered courses via the Student Link, nor may they register directly with the Office of the University Registrar at 881 Commonwealth Avenue.
  • Grades for the cross-registered course will display on the student’s BU transcript. A student must earn a B or better for the course to count toward the MPH requirement.

Boston University students who find it necessary to withdraw from the University while registered for a course at a consortium college or university will follow the tuition refund schedule appropriate for their school or college at Boston University.