Transfer Credits

College of Fine Arts Policy

Undergraduate Students

Undergraduate students must adhere to the University Policy for BU Residency Requirement and Transfer of Undergraduate Credits. Please see the individual School of Music, School of Theatre, and School of Visual Arts websites, and the BU Admissions website, for more information.

Transfer Students

Credits and coursework of incoming transfer students are evaluated by faculty in the College of Fine Arts or other BU academic departments and programs as needed. The transfer credit evaluation is initiated and coordinated by the Office of the University Registrar once the student submits all credentials to

Graduate Students

Master of Music, Master of Fine Arts, and Master of Arts students may transfer in up to 8 credits of approved graduate-level coursework with a grade of B– or higher toward their degree program. This coursework must have been taken within the last 5 years and not be previously used toward any other degree.

Doctoral students in the School of Music may transfer in up to 16 credits of graduate coursework with grades of B– or higher with approval of their advisor, and the Director of Graduate Studies. This coursework must not be previously used toward any other degree.

Individual programs may have additional restrictions or limitations.

Graduate Students: Requests can be made using the Graduate External Transfer Course Equivalency form.