Available to: Students, Faculty, Researchers, Staff, Departments, New/Incoming Students, Guests
Cost: Generally, there are no charges to use non-residential network services. There may be costs associated with the installation or extension of wireless services; departments interested in these services should contact the IT Help Center using our online form or by sending a message to email@example.com.
- See Getting Started, below.
IS&T maintains an extensive wireless network throughout the Charles River, Medical, and certain remote campuses. We design and install all wireless infrastructure, ensuring members of the BU community secure and easy access to the network at data rates up to 200 Mbps. As of October 2011, new wireless networks have been deployed in all Registrar classrooms, dining facilities, and all undergraduate residences; see the current Charles River Campus wireless network project schedule and coverage map for more information. For Medical Campus upgrade details, see the BUMC project schedule.
Centralizing design, installation, management, and maintenance for the wireless network ensures homogeneity. The network functions in a predictable and reliable manner, providing simplicity, consistency, transparency, and security for everyone, regardless of where they connect to our network.Wireless devices can move freely throughout areas with wireless service, without losing network connectivity.
- Support for wireless access via 802.11a, 802.11g, and 802.11n
- Secure access via native encryption, via 802.1x, or a VPN Client
- Access for University guests
What to Expect
This service normally will be available 24 by 7 except for standard change windows, as described in IS&T’s standard policies, procedures, and schedules for making changes.
Access to the University’s wireless network generally requires a device with an 802.11 Ethernet adapter, supporting either A, G, or N, and wireless services active in a particular location.
- For details and to learn how to connect your wireless device, please see the page on 802.1x access for BU accounts or the page on guest access.
- If you have difficulty using the University’s wireless network in a particular location, please report the problem to the IT Help Center using our online form, by sending a message to firstname.lastname@example.org, or by calling 617-353-HELP (4357).
- If you are interested in adding wireless service in a particular location, please contact the IT Help Center using our online form or by sending a message to email@example.com.