From its founding in 1918, the Boston University School of Education has pursued three missions:
- Prepare professionals to lead in education, to practice social responsibility, and to exemplify intellectual curiosity.
- Conduct scholarship that advances knowledge and refines practice.
- Collaborate with local and global partners using education to forge more caring, just, and sustainable societies.
During their undergraduate degree program, our students reaffirm their commitment to the field of education by participating in a pinning ceremony and reciting the following affirmation:
The Boston University Educator’s Affirmation
- I dedicate myself to the life of an educator, to laying the living foundations upon which successor generations must continue to build their lives.
- I dedicate myself to the advancement of learning, for I know that without it our successors will lack both the vision and the power to build well.
- I dedicate myself to the cultivation of character, for I know that humanity cannot flourish without courage, compassion, honesty, and trust.
- I commit myself to the advancement of my own learning and to the cultivation of my own character, for I know that I must bear witness in my own life to the ideals that I have dedicated myself to promote in others.
- In the presence of this gathering, I so dedicate and commit myself.
Written for the occasion of the April 24, 1989, School of Education Junior Pinning Ceremony, by Dr. Steven Tigner.
If you’re ready to take your first steps toward becoming a life-changing educator: