Recent MLCL Graduate William Wallis was recently named the winner of the...
Minor in Chinese (1107)
Required courses: six LC courses numbered 250 and above, including LC 311 and 312 and at least one course in literature. Up to four courses taken at Boston University’s program in Shanghai may count toward the minor. Students may include up to three transfer courses from other colleges, universities, or non-Boston University study abroad programs and must take a minimum of three courses (or a minimum of two, if they have four courses approved for credit toward the minor from Boston University’s program in Shanghai) on the Charles River Campus. Internships taken through Boston University or other study abroad programs may not be credited toward minors offered by the department. A grade of C or higher is required in all courses taken toward the minor.
Major in Chinese Language and Literature (1140)
A prerequisite of CAS LC 212 (or equivalent placement) and thirteen courses with a grade of C or higher are required. Students must complete a minimum of six principal courses at Boston University.
- Four language-focus courses: CAS LC 311, LC 312, LC 314 or LC 315, and one of CAS LC 411, LC 412, or LC 442.
- Three courses in Chinese literature: CAS LC 250, LC 251, and one of LC 284, LC 285, LC 450, and LC 470. LC 470 may be taken more than once if the topic has changed.
- Two civilization courses from: CAS HI 363, HI 364, LC 280,LC 283, LC 286, LC 287, LC 440. LC 280 may be taken more than once if the topic has changed.
- Two of the following: CAS XL 222, XL 223, XL 224, XL 225, LX 250. CC 101 and 102 taken together may count as XL 222.
- Two additional courses chosen in consultation with the advisor from LC courses at the 300-level or above or related courses in MLCL or other departments as approved by the advisor (Non-language courses taken on BU Shanghai program may also count toward this requirement with advisor approval).